Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie tries to backup library instead of opening it.

I have moved large iMovie libraries to external Hard Drives. Previously, I could open the libraries in iMovie with no problem. But, like a fool, I have updated to OS 12.0.1.

Now, when I try to open an external iMovie library, I have to search for it in finder. Then, when I try to open it, it tries to "backup the iMovie library." The spinning rainbow wheel of futility keeps going around but nothing else changes.

Is iMovie trying to duplicate a 1.3 TB iMovie library on a 2TB Hard drive?

Does updating OS make all my old video files obsolete?

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 2:14 PM

That's normal for an iMovie library to do backups, particularly if not opened for awhile, or perhaps first opened with a new iMovie version or new OS. A 1.3 TB library is massive and would take quite a while to back up. Hence the spinning wheel. It would back up to your Mac's hard drive. However, it would be much smaller in size than 1.3TB because the media itself is not being backed up. The back up would refer to the media in the original library. If you wait patiently, iMovie should open after the backups are done.

Here's where the backup will go:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

You should see previous backups of your various libraries there. Note that they are smaller in size than the original library.

As for having to go to the Finder to open a library, you don't need to do that if you hold down the Option key while opening iMovie, and then selecting from the box that appears the library that you want to open. iMovie will open in that library. The next time that you open iMovie in the regular way, it will open in the library last used.

As I mentioned above, a 1.3 TB library is quite massive. Performance speed will be much slower, as you are finding with the backups. Also, if your external drive goes south, or the library gets corrupted, as can happen, you would be in danger of losing all of your projects and media, unless you keep a Time Machine Backup or a manually updated copy of the library on a separate external drive.

Everybody has their own way of organizing. I never let my libraries get larger than 60 GB. I back them up on separate hard drives. I also keep all of my media separately, and doubly, backed up in Finder folders on separate external drives. I create new iMovie libraries each year and name them iMovie library Year 2018, iMovie Library Year 2019, etc. I find that that keeps the libraries more responsive and easier to copy and back up without waiting forever. If you need to access projects and media in another library you can always copy them over to the currently used library.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 2:14 PM in response to Ian Sinclair

That's normal for an iMovie library to do backups, particularly if not opened for awhile, or perhaps first opened with a new iMovie version or new OS. A 1.3 TB library is massive and would take quite a while to back up. Hence the spinning wheel. It would back up to your Mac's hard drive. However, it would be much smaller in size than 1.3TB because the media itself is not being backed up. The back up would refer to the media in the original library. If you wait patiently, iMovie should open after the backups are done.

Here's where the backup will go:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

You should see previous backups of your various libraries there. Note that they are smaller in size than the original library.

As for having to go to the Finder to open a library, you don't need to do that if you hold down the Option key while opening iMovie, and then selecting from the box that appears the library that you want to open. iMovie will open in that library. The next time that you open iMovie in the regular way, it will open in the library last used.

As I mentioned above, a 1.3 TB library is quite massive. Performance speed will be much slower, as you are finding with the backups. Also, if your external drive goes south, or the library gets corrupted, as can happen, you would be in danger of losing all of your projects and media, unless you keep a Time Machine Backup or a manually updated copy of the library on a separate external drive.

Everybody has their own way of organizing. I never let my libraries get larger than 60 GB. I back them up on separate hard drives. I also keep all of my media separately, and doubly, backed up in Finder folders on separate external drives. I create new iMovie libraries each year and name them iMovie library Year 2018, iMovie Library Year 2019, etc. I find that that keeps the libraries more responsive and easier to copy and back up without waiting forever. If you need to access projects and media in another library you can always copy them over to the currently used library.

-- Rich

Nov 9, 2021 8:03 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks that is helpful advice.

In some cases, the update does not seem problematic. But the library still resides on the external drive. In at least some cases, iMovie duplicates the library on the same drive. I just got a message telling me that the drive is full, and that I need to clear space in order to continue. In that case I now have two iMovie libraries, on is 265 GB, and the other is, I assume, the incomplete duplicate weighing in at 236 GB. I am guessing I need to move the library to my computer HD, with the external drive mounted, and try the update again.

As for,

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups,

I show com.apple.ImageKit..... followed by com.apple.internal....

but no com.apple.iMovieApp

I did find Go/Home/Library/Containers/iMovie/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups/com.apple.iMovieApp/

But that is 13 KB, and I can't read it.

But then, my last computer language was Commodore Basic.

iMovie tries to backup library instead of opening it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.