Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie - Plugin required ?

I have tried to move my iMovie Library from my Mac to an External Storage device as I want to free up space on my Mac. However when I try to access the Library on the External Drive, iMovie starts but then the files all say that a Plugin is required ?

Any guidance for an ‘old un’, Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 6:40 PM

What is the format of the external drive to which you moved your iMovie library? It should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. If you need to reformat be aware that reformatting a drive erases all the data on it. So, first backup elsewhere any data that you want to keep.

To test, you might try moving the iMovie library back onto your Mac's internal drive to see if iMovie will successfully open in it. Double-click on the library's icon in the Movies folder and iMovie will open in that library. If you still get the plugin issue, then the external drive was not the problem.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2022 6:40 PM in response to Mark647580

What is the format of the external drive to which you moved your iMovie library? It should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. If you need to reformat be aware that reformatting a drive erases all the data on it. So, first backup elsewhere any data that you want to keep.

To test, you might try moving the iMovie library back onto your Mac's internal drive to see if iMovie will successfully open in it. Double-click on the library's icon in the Movies folder and iMovie will open in that library. If you still get the plugin issue, then the external drive was not the problem.

-- Rich

iMovie - Plugin required ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.