Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are Muslin holidays on my calendar? I am not a Muslin and prefer now to have them on my calendar. How can I remove them?

Why are Muslim holidays suddenly on my calendar and how can I remove them?

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2018 1:33 PM

Still no good. There should be a simple solution to customize your US Holidays for your life but, this is another way that Apple is forcing you to do things the Apple way. In this case Apple says, "Modify your definition of US Holidays to include Islamic Holidays."

76 replies

Jun 20, 2018 6:22 PM in response to Michael Black

These are still holidays that the majority of Americans celebrate, and are often days where government buildings and schools will be closed, hence these are dates that most Americans want to be aware of.

These Muslim ones that have suddenly popped up on the iPhone calendars are not relevant to us on any way so I really see no point in having this info on my phone. I guess this has struck a nerve with some People here who feel the need to minimize our American holidays and traditions for some strange reason.

Simmer down people, it's really not an attack on other cultures or religions that we don't need their special days listed on our calendars and I suspect they feel the same about ours (which is really perfectly ok)!

Jun 20, 2018 6:22 PM in response to LaTrinaBooBoo

No, Easter is not a recognized American holiday. Neither is Good Friday. both are holidays celebrated by some Americans. Eid al-Fitr is not a recognized American holiday either, but it is celebrated by some Americans also. In New York, schools are not usually closed on Good Friday (they happen to be this year because it falls into Spring recess, but not because it is Good Friday). But they ARE closed on Eid al-Fitr.

The point of razmee's comment was that the Apple Holidays calendar respects the religions of the 5 most often practiced religions in the US. Should it respect more? Perhaps, but certainly not less. Every one of those 5 religions has millions of US Citizens that observe them, and every one of them has members of Congress who practice them. And every one of those holidays directly affects millions of people, and indirectly affects millions more.

The other point is that it is a subscription calendar, which, by definition, cannot be edited by anyone other than the calendar provider. But, as you will learn if you read the thread you posted to, you don't have to use it. You can uncheck it and install any of the hundreds of free subscription calendars available on the Internet, or create your own, either just for you, or to share with people who would find your calendar to their liking. Start with icalshare.com, for example.

Jul 12, 2018 5:36 AM in response to gunjaBeans

You aren't the first person to claim Apple is "forcing" something on you. They aren't. You have a very easy option, and the complete freedom to change what the calendar shows.

It's already been explained by Lawrence. All you need to do is spend less than 5 minutes changing it. 10 seconds or less to turn the default calendar off, and the rest of the time to find a different subscription calendar you do like.

Mar 16, 2018 9:29 AM in response to razmee209

Because it (Eld al-Adha) is not an official US Holiday. If the US would like to make it an official US Holiday the it can be listed with all the US Holidays. I mean some guy just made up Kwanzaa and it got in so it should not be that hard. Also when your Calendar is open, you can just click on Calendar and uncheck US Holidays then create your own Holidays you want to see just like Apple did.

Jun 20, 2018 6:28 PM in response to LaTrinaBooBoo

The US is a very diverse country. While a majority may celebrate a bunch of holidays, the US does not exist solely for the majority. I'm sure you learned that in grade school and beyond. In fact, it violates the Constitution and many other laws passed since the founding of the Republic to give special privileges to the majority. Remember "All men are created equal" from the Declaration of Independence? It doesn't say "All men are created equal, but some are more equal than others."

cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_men_are_created_equal

Jun 21, 2018 6:27 AM in response to LaTrinaBooBoo

LaTrinaBooBoo wrote:

These are still holidays that the majority of Americans celebrate, and are often days where government buildings and schools will be closed, hence these are dates that most Americans want to be aware of.

The public school district where I attended school from kindergarten through 12th grade, was closed on Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashannah. I'm guessing there are public school districts in some cities where schools are closed for Muslim holidays. School districts holidays are not determined by the federal government.

These Muslim ones that have suddenly popped up on the iPhone calendars are not relevant to us on any way so I really see no point in having this info on my phone.

Who is "us"? They Muslim holidays are certainly relevant to the 3 million Muslim U.S. citizens and their friends and co-workers.

People here who feel the need to minimize our American holidays and traditions for some strange reason.

How is adding additional holidays minimizing whatever your holidays are? No one took away your holidays. Instead, Apple made the calendar more reflective of U.S. society.

Simmer down people, it's really not an attack on other cultures or religions that we don't need their special days listed on our calendars and I suspect they feel the same about ours (which is really perfectly ok)!

You keep speaking in the plural: "us", "ours". Who is it you think your speaking for? And, why do you think which ever segment of the U.S. population your speaking for is somehow more American than everyone else?

Aug 11, 2018 7:22 AM in response to Vetpet

Why are Muslim holidays suddenly on my calendar and how can I remove them?

Because there are over 3 million Muslims living in the U.S. who are citizens of this nation. Their holidays are just as important to them as yours are to you. Funny didn't complain about the Hindu and Jewish holidays.

In case you've forgotten, except for Native Americans, everyone in this country is either a recent immigrant, or descendent of one. There are over 80 religions practiced in New York alone. There is no one who can make any claim this is a one religion country.

Apple created the default calendar. Since you are not the author, you cannot edit it. However, you can very easily turn it off in Settings. Then subscribe to any of thousands of other calendars you do like. Or, create your own.

Edit: Now my response looks strange as the post of the person I was writing this to had been removed while I was composing.

Apr 25, 2018 8:45 PM in response to Vetpet

What you need is a calendar that shows only American holidays.

Open your iPhone calendar app

Tap calendars at the bottom of the screen

Scroll through all the calendars listed and make sure that none of the “holiday” calendars are listed.

Next tap this link and then tap the subscribe tab after the page opens.

https://www.calendarlabs.com/ical-calendar/holidays/us-holidays-76/

The description says US Holidays and thats exactly what you want.

Why are Muslin holidays on my calendar? I am not a Muslin and prefer now to have them on my calendar. How can I remove them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.