Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD does not show up in System Preferences?

Hi, I am using a Mac Pro mid 2010. The drive I am using now is system 10.10.5 (Yosemite) and working ok however, in system pref. under start up disk I do not see my SSD drive which is OS Sierra. The drive does show up on my computer but can't start with it? I use to. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 6:23 PM

11 replies

Feb 28, 2018 8:41 AM in response to Gerald Gifford

Hi, Yes, when I did P ram at start up It booted into my SSD but then went into System pref. At first, I didn't see the drives because the icon was locked but I unlocked it and see both disks in Start up disk. However, I am now back on the HD (pic enclosed) and when I go into start up disk in system pref. I only see my HD not the SSD. There is no lock/unlock icon option for some reason? So I would like to know why I can't see it in my start up disk when every other time before I could? I don't want to press option at startup all the time. Never had to do this before. Thanks.User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2018 8:34 AM in response to StellarDust

Recovery HD (for a specific version of MacOS) is an additional Bootable partition created on the boot drive of that same version. It is created when you do a standard Install of 10.7 or later, and updated when you install a later version.

Recovery HD allows you to get to run support Disk Utility, set Startup Disk, use Terminal, get help online, or Download&Install MacOS.

SSD does not show up in System Preferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.