Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

vlookup (for checkboxes) or a different formula?

hi

i have a table that essentially consists of a main column with a number of rows, then to the right i have a number of additional columns, each with different key information and each with a check box above.

when a check box is selected, i want the information from that column to appear in the main column.

i'm currently using the formula below (for each line), which works, but i want to add more information columns over time, and i don't want to keep adding an IF query for each column to each formula on each row....

User uploaded file

is there a simpler way of doing this similar to VLOOKUP?

cheers, ric

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 12:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 1:02 AM

Hi Ric,

VLOOKUP searches a column for a specific value, then returns the value from the cell in a different column in the same row as it finds the search value.

HLOOKUP works in the direction you want.

User uploaded file

The formula shown below the tables is in the selected cell, A1, of the smaller table, and is filled down to the rest of the cells in that column.

Cell Table 1::F1 contains a formula whose result is the Boolean value 'TRUE', which is NOT equivalent to the text value "TRUE".

F1: 1=1

Checkboxes can have only two values, 'TRUE' if checked.or 'FALSE' if not checked.

HLOOKUP searches the top row of the lookup table for the search value 'TRUE'. If found, it returns the value from that row of the column where it found 'TRUE'. The search is from left to right, and HLOOKUP 'finds' only the first column containing 'TRUE'.

The 'permanent' 'TRUE' in the last column serves as a 'findable value' when no column before it is checked.

Here is the same table, with B1 checked. Note the results in the small table:

User uploaded file

Additional information columns may be added at will, provided they are added to the left of the last column (currently column F). Column F can be hidden, if desired.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 1:02 AM in response to ric frankland

Hi Ric,

VLOOKUP searches a column for a specific value, then returns the value from the cell in a different column in the same row as it finds the search value.

HLOOKUP works in the direction you want.

User uploaded file

The formula shown below the tables is in the selected cell, A1, of the smaller table, and is filled down to the rest of the cells in that column.

Cell Table 1::F1 contains a formula whose result is the Boolean value 'TRUE', which is NOT equivalent to the text value "TRUE".

F1: 1=1

Checkboxes can have only two values, 'TRUE' if checked.or 'FALSE' if not checked.

HLOOKUP searches the top row of the lookup table for the search value 'TRUE'. If found, it returns the value from that row of the column where it found 'TRUE'. The search is from left to right, and HLOOKUP 'finds' only the first column containing 'TRUE'.

The 'permanent' 'TRUE' in the last column serves as a 'findable value' when no column before it is checked.

Here is the same table, with B1 checked. Note the results in the small table:

User uploaded file

Additional information columns may be added at will, provided they are added to the left of the last column (currently column F). Column F can be hidden, if desired.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

Feb 28, 2018 9:37 AM in response to ric frankland

Hi Ric,

Another approach using INDIRECT. As in Barry's approach I have used two tables (thanks for the HLOOKUP method, Barry!)

User uploaded file

In the Database table, insert a row where you type the column letters.

The Result table has a blank row (Row 2) so that row numbers in the two tables match.

Cell B1 of Results is a Pop-Up Menu created from Row 1 of Database.

User uploaded file

Cell A1 in Results creates a text reference to the chosen column in Database.

User uploaded file

="Database::"&HLOOKUP(B$1,Database::A$1:C$2,2)

Now for the INDIRECT function.

User uploaded file

Formula in B3 (and Fill Down)

=INDIRECT(A$1&ROW())

Tidy up by hiding Row 2 in both tables, and Column A in Results.

Choose another column from the Pop-Up Menu:

User uploaded file

Drawback of this approach: as you add more information columns to Database, you will have to recreate the Pop-Up Menu.

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 1, 2018 3:05 AM in response to ric frankland

Hi Ric,

Your last post is a good indicator of why screen shots are very helpful here. We can't see what you can see, unless you show it to us. A screenshot showing your table and the formula in the cell where it was first entered could provide a wealth of information as to what's causing the error you report and how to cure it.

My guess at the moment is that your checkboxes are in the second row of your table.

If that's the case, then your lookup table must start with the row containing the checkboxes and include all rows below that, as shown in the highlighted cells here:

User uploaded file

Note the added header row in the large table, pushing the checkboxes down to the second row.

HLOOKUP always searches in the first row of the lookup table, so to enable searching to be done in the checkbox row, the lookup table here does NOT include row 1 of the large table.

If no extra header row has been added to the result table left version of small table), the only change needed to the forumla (shown below the tables is to edit the row references specifying the range of rows in the Lookup table (blue lozenge in the formula).

If an extra header row has been added to the result table, a second edit ( -1 ) is required in the formula, as shown in the formula above the tables. Subtracting 1 from the ROW() value adjusts the value to match the position in the Lookup table, 1 less than its position in the large table due to the first row of the large table being outside the Lookup table.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 28, 2018 9:30 AM in response to Yellowbox

thanks Ian!

i might stick with the first option, only because it seems much simpler and as you say, i'd have to create the Pop-UP menu each time.

do you know why my formula is picking up the value of the row below when row() should return the row number of the cell that contains the formula...

or can i adjust the row (i've tried adding a -1 in the formula but i just get an error).

vlookup (for checkboxes) or a different formula?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.