Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Laptop battery was unplugged for 3 weeks, now won't charge

I've got an old 17" Mac laptop with a ~2 year old (replacement) battery. I mistakenly left it unplugged while I traveled (several weeks) and now when I plug it in, the battery doesn't seem to be charging. Any ideas what's going on?

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 1:29 PM

See if any of the following articles can help:

10 replies

Mar 1, 2018 9:00 AM in response to finlandrocks

> have you reset the smc

I tried holding down the ctrl-option-shift-power button for 10 seconds and releasing them all - absolutely nothing happens. It's been connected to power for 3 days now - the adapter's LED glows green, but when I press the little button on the side of the machine, the very first tiny LED pinhole flashes and that's it.

Mar 1, 2018 6:57 PM in response to Michael Levin

It very well could be the battery has just stopped taking a charge . It happens with everything that takes a rechargeable battery eventually . Take your system to a shop or Apple store and have them check the battery . A tech should take the battery and test it on another machine or lab to see if it takes a charge or is damaged . In the event it has stopped you will need a new battery . Of course it could be other things and without having the device in front of me I could not give you a complete answer .

Mar 12, 2018 1:45 PM in response to Michael Levin

Michael Levin wrote:

Update. Sitting plugged in for 1 week, now the tiny green LEDs are all the way to the right (full) when I press the button on the side of the machine. But still it won't turn on - when I press the power button, nothing happens. Anything I can do?

Kind of obvious, but it sounds like your battery went into deep discharge and you need a new one.

Mar 12, 2018 5:18 PM in response to Michael Levin

Michael Levin wrote:

> Kind of obvious, but it sounds like your battery went into deep discharge and you need a new one.

I just thought since it was actually showing as fully charged now, that maybe it had come back to life. Why would it show up as all the way charged and yet not support booting? Is that normal behavior for a deep discharged battery?

The lights don't really indicate that the battery will boot your machine.

Someone suggesting trying the SMC reset first, just in case. However, if it doesn't work then you probably need a new battery. One thing you can try is maybe disconnecting the battery connector and replacing it. I had a frozen MBP that was completely stuck until I completely killed the power to it. I could hear a faint electronic buzz coming from the logic board, but it was stuck in some sort of loop where only completely disconnecting the power would reset it. If you're comfortable with that it's worth a try.

Laptop battery was unplugged for 3 weeks, now won't charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.