Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding ssd...how do i only transfer OS to ssd from existing HDD?

Hi wondering if anybody can help me please. I have an existing 2tb hdd in my 2011 imac...I have bought the OWC kit and a 256gb SSD. Installation is not a problem as it will be mounted behind the optical drive. My question is, once the SSD has been installed, how do I go about transferring the OS to the SSD and make it the bootable drive whilst leaving the other stuff on the existing HDD and then delete the OS from the HDD?

iMac, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 9:45 AM

Yes it should, however how I'd do it is once you have OS up and running on the new SSD. I'd ensure I have a VERY sound backup of everything on the internal HD. Once that was confirmed I'd do and erase on the internal HD to wipe it 100% clean and then use my back up to restore on the data files needed back to the internal HD. Then I'd use the SSD for just my OS and applications and use the HD for storage. That's what I did with mine.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 9:45 AM in response to Manxvibes

Yes it should, however how I'd do it is once you have OS up and running on the new SSD. I'd ensure I have a VERY sound backup of everything on the internal HD. Once that was confirmed I'd do and erase on the internal HD to wipe it 100% clean and then use my back up to restore on the data files needed back to the internal HD. Then I'd use the SSD for just my OS and applications and use the HD for storage. That's what I did with mine.

Mar 1, 2018 9:39 AM in response to Manxvibes

You can clone the entire HDD to the SSD. I don't know of any way to transfer just the OS, other than using a cloning tool to omit major folders from the clone (but still maybe transferring a bunch of settings and folders that are not strictly part of the OS). You could do that back with the real "MacOS" (vs. what they now call MacOS) OS9 and earlier but OSX+ has all kinds of hidden stuff. You can, of course, do a fresh OSX installation.

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - https://support.apple.com/HT204904

Feb 28, 2018 11:32 AM in response to Manxvibes

We do not know which Mac OS version you are running since your profile shows you are running iOS (which does not run on computers - only on iphones, ipads, etc). So it is difficult to help.

If you intend to make the SSD your bootup volume, then why not boot into recovery and simply download a fresh OS - and, I would do that before you install it. I'd put it in a temporary external enclosure, plug it in and download the OS. I would then install it and make sure that it is chosen in System Preferences as your startup disk. If you leave the other drive in, you will need to use the Option key to choose which one to boot into. (I also do not know how to delete or transfer just an OS and since some apps are part of the system, I don't know how well they'd run or not without it).

Mar 1, 2018 9:38 AM in response to Manxvibes

The easiest method is to boot into the Recovery Partition by holding down Command + R on startup. The open Disk Utility and format the SSD. After it has been formatted correctly, the exit Disk Utility and use Install Mac OS and point it to the SSD. After you have done that re-boot normally and open System Preferences - Startup Disk and select the SSD and then reboot. The down side is you will still have Mac OS installed on the internal HD.

Mar 1, 2018 9:25 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks...that sounds good, so if I do that it will run the new operating system and ignore the old one on other HDD? meaning when i get a chance I can wipe other HDD and add my music and pictures back? Also the SSD i have added is a samsung 256gb evo pro , do I run their software disk that came with it or will Apple sort the SSD out for me?

Adding ssd...how do i only transfer OS to ssd from existing HDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.