Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 3 - Carrier Locked?

Geography: U.S.A.

Region: Western U.S.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus with Verizon. I recently purchased an Apple Watch 3 Cellular version via a person-to-person sale. The original carrier appears to be AT&T. AT&T states the IMEI is clear, and is not associated with any account. However, Verizon insists it is totally unable to activate this Apple Watch 3. Their reason they stated is that since the watch has not been purchased either from Best Buy for their service, or purchased directly from them they are unable to add it to their system.

From numerous other discussions on the Communities site, the consistent answer from Apple has been that there is no carrier lock.

My question is: Which is it? Is it carrier locked, or not?

If it truly is not, this issue needs to be directly addressed from Apple to Verizon as their stance is that if it has not been bought directly from them, or Best Buy from their service they can't activate it. If needed, I have the emails of their official response.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4.2.3, Verizon

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 10:10 AM

9 replies

Feb 28, 2018 10:14 AM in response to chpid

Hi

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) is not locked to - and does not lock to - any specific carrier.

Apple's instructions for changing carriers are detailed in the first support article below, under the heading "Changing carriers" and, if necessary, also under the heading "Remove your cellular plan":

If your carrier is experiencing issues with implementing the change, then I suggest that you continue your dialogue with them and, if necessary, next contact Apple Support:

(Note that you are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community).

Apr 15, 2018 3:20 AM in response to cdominguez2007

the watch rely on a technology called eSIM this is a technology the carrier has to support before the watch can be used on their network, so it's not a lock or not lock question its a

"Hey Verizon do you support eSIM ?"

if they say no you can't use the apple watch on their network until they begin supporting it if they plan on it sooner or later

Apr 16, 2018 2:15 PM in response to Branta_uk

Verizon has had issues with any Apple Watch, even ones sold at their shop, in getting number sync to work. There have been many posts here from the day the cellular watch was released from people with Verizon service who could not get it to work. They were often told by Verizon first level personnel that it was an Apple problem. Those that persisted and went up to a higher tier got their service fixed.

Mind you I specifically said the Apple Watch. Bringing your own iPhone is an entirely different matter and depends on the model of the iPhone.

Apr 16, 2018 4:58 PM in response to deggie

That makes more sense when you mention Verizon’s technical gremlins failing to make Apple Watch work. Good reply and it might help others who search Verizon as a keyword. Tagged as helpful.

Agreed the ongoing issues with legacy technology will continue to plague US phone users for some time yet. The final last post for CDMA can’t come too soon.

Apple Watch 3 - Carrier Locked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.