Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Pro - Logic Pro X

Hi, I've been running Logic on my Macbook Pro for years. Am considering buying the iMac Pro.

I've read about the latest update making Logic more efficient for multi core machines, but I am

trying to understand how this update will make an impact running Logic on a 10 core iMac Pro vs. an 18 core iMac Pro...?

I use lots of vsts, synth multis, as well as high numbers of tracks. Any info is much welcomed.

Thanks! Matt

Logic Pro X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:11 PM

7 replies

Feb 28, 2018 8:40 PM in response to CountryGirl56

Hi! yes, I would agree that it would seem logic that an 18 core machine would be almost twice as fast as a 10 core machine...however, I'm reading that unless the software has been specifically designed to take advantage of multiple cores, it really makes no difference.

I've read that Logic Pro X has been updated to utilize up to 36 cores...? But I am unclear on what that really means in terms of efficiency gains when processing massive sessions running multiple instances of plugins, vsts, and dozens of audio tracks simultaneously.

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2018 9:14 PM in response to MattUrmy

The last thing. I have an 8 core iMac Pro. As a guess an 18 core iMac Pro might be 50% faster. However, the speed of the CPU isn't the only factor. Bus speeds, memory speeds, read and write disk speeds all have an effect.

So, I spent $4999. for another $2400, I could have maybe a 50% increase in speed. so something that took me 60 mins to run, might only take 45mins. Maybe. 😎

iMac Pro - Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.