Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my computer saying, setup as new iPhone or restore from previous back up?

When I plug my brother's iPhone SE into the computer, to load music manually, it says: setup as new iPhone, or restore from previous backup, instead of pulling up the iTunes menu. I am wondering if it could possibly be because through family sharing we recently restored his phone. Thanks for your help.

iPhone SE, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 5:58 PM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2018 10:48 AM in response to kavemanrust

Hello kavemanrust,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that you're being prompted to set up as new or restore from a backup when connecting your brother's recently restored iPhone SE. I can definitely see how this could be a bit concerning. I'm happy to help.

When an iOS device is connected to iTunes for the first time or after a recent restore, it is expected behavior for iTunes to prompt to set up as new or restore from a previous backup. If you set up as new the current content in the phone will remain as is. If you choose to restore from a backup, all content and settings added after the backup date will be replaced with the backup data. Please review the link below for details on what's included in a backup:

About backups on iOS devices

You also mentioned you were manually adding music, here's some additional information that could help:

Manually manage content on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iTunes

Have a fantastic day!

Why is my computer saying, setup as new iPhone or restore from previous back up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.