Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best iOS version to use on a fourth generation iPad?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 3:23 PM

As has been stated, your only option is to install iOS 10.3.3.

You cannot install any other iOS versions, other than the current version for your iPad.

iOS 10.3.3 should run fine on your iPad 4.

You just will NOT get ANY of the really cool whiz bang features, like two screen multitasking and some of the other features that require an iDevice with better hardware specs.

In my opinion, the best versions of iOS for older iPad models were iOS 6 and 7. iOS 9 wasn’t bad, either.

iOS 8, IMSO, much like the current iOS 11, was one of the "not so good” iOS versions.

I avoided upgrading any of my iDevices to iOS 8, then and I will be, probably, avoiding the current iOS 11 for all my compatible iDevices, as well.

Good Luck to You!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 3:23 PM in response to JR

As has been stated, your only option is to install iOS 10.3.3.

You cannot install any other iOS versions, other than the current version for your iPad.

iOS 10.3.3 should run fine on your iPad 4.

You just will NOT get ANY of the really cool whiz bang features, like two screen multitasking and some of the other features that require an iDevice with better hardware specs.

In my opinion, the best versions of iOS for older iPad models were iOS 6 and 7. iOS 9 wasn’t bad, either.

iOS 8, IMSO, much like the current iOS 11, was one of the "not so good” iOS versions.

I avoided upgrading any of my iDevices to iOS 8, then and I will be, probably, avoiding the current iOS 11 for all my compatible iDevices, as well.

Good Luck to You!

Mar 1, 2018 10:00 AM in response to JR

Well, now I can't see a way to edit my question so I'll try this to do a bit better job of asking it. I currently have iOS 8.4.1 and understand I can go to 10.3.3. What I am trying to ask is what OS version works best on this machine. I have learned over time with computers that the latest OS that a machine will accept may not be optimal because it simply bogs the machine down.

Mar 1, 2018 1:55 PM in response to JR

JR wrote:

Well, now I can't see a way to edit my question so I'll try this to do a bit better job of asking it. I currently have iOS 8.4.1 and understand I can go to 10.3.3. What I am trying to ask is what OS version works best on this machine. I have learned over time with computers that the latest OS that a machine will accept may not be optimal because it simply bogs the machine down.

The question is moot since with your iPad 4th at the moment can only update to iOS 10.3.3 and nothing in-between.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.