Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reformat iMac to 10.9.5

I was on High Sierra but due to a compatibility issue with some older software that i need for a project, I would like to reformat with 10.9.5. I'm on a iMac mid 2011 with 128Gb SSD, and 16GB so its from that era.

I have 10.9.3 on a USB stick that I set up with diskmaker. (I have the 10.9.5 combo update stored elsewhere to add afterwards)

I rebooted with the USB showing to boot into.

OS X Utilities boots, and I used Disk Utility to erase my disk (all backed up).

I checked the disk and its verified and repair disk and everything fine.

I go back to OS X Utilities to 'Install OS X' but the CONTINUE button does nothing?

How do i proceed to install 10.9 or indeed any OS X now, as I'm pulling my hair out!!

Thanks

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 4:54 PM

Hi pitchfork,

I understand that you're attempting to revert your computer's operating system to OS X Mavericks, but you're unable to complete the installation process. I'd be happy to help!

You mentioned that you created your bootable installer using DiskMaker. If you have another Mac available, I would instead recommend that you create a bootable installer using the instructions from the article below. This will allow you to create a bootable installer of OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 if you have this version in your purchase history.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support
If you don't have OS X Mavericks in your App Store purchase history, you may want to consider OS X El Capitan instead:
How to download OS X El Capitan - Apple Support
A final option would be to use the installation disks that came with your computer to reinstall OS X Snow Leopard on the machine. If you choose this method, insert the installation disk, then restart your Mac and hold down the C key. This will allow you to boot from the installation disk.
Cheers.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 4:54 PM in response to pitchfork

Hi pitchfork,

I understand that you're attempting to revert your computer's operating system to OS X Mavericks, but you're unable to complete the installation process. I'd be happy to help!

You mentioned that you created your bootable installer using DiskMaker. If you have another Mac available, I would instead recommend that you create a bootable installer using the instructions from the article below. This will allow you to create a bootable installer of OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 if you have this version in your purchase history.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support
If you don't have OS X Mavericks in your App Store purchase history, you may want to consider OS X El Capitan instead:
How to download OS X El Capitan - Apple Support
A final option would be to use the installation disks that came with your computer to reinstall OS X Snow Leopard on the machine. If you choose this method, insert the installation disk, then restart your Mac and hold down the C key. This will allow you to boot from the installation disk.
Cheers.

Mar 2, 2018 3:54 AM in response to CarlAVII

Thanks for your help, Allen A

However, after rebooting several times, and then booting into an online recovery? (spinning globe) I got so frustrated and left it!
When I came back, it booted into the USB diskmaker version of 10.9.3 Mavericks!?!

Still no idea as to what I did!!?

Anyway it installed and got to the famous ''one second remaining'' for about 2 hours!

Then it sprung into action and loaded.

My issue was a software one which i still am not sure i can resolve, rolling back, so might have to jump back up to the latest High Sierra. Lets hope there is an easier way of getting up to date with the new OS X if i do want to jump back to the latest OS!

Reformat iMac to 10.9.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.