Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages v5 that comes with El Capita not compatible with v6 that comes with High Sierra

I have a 2013 Macbook Pro Retina, El Capitan 10.11.6

It came with Pages version 5.6.2

I am collaborating on a newsletter with someone who just got a new macbook with High Sierra that has Pages v6. If he creates a document in Pages v6, I cannot open that file with my Pages v5. WHAT 'SUP WITH THAT, APPLE???

And there is no option to save or export his file to a Pages v5 format. When he exports it to a Pages 09 format (which there IS an option for), the formatting is completely wacky.

I cannot upgrade to Pages v6 without upgrading my operating system to High Sierra. I don't want to upgrade to High Sierra because the main apps I use, Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 and Photoshop CS5 supposedly don't work with new OS, and it's too pricey to upgrade those apps.

Any suggestions how I can view files created in Pages v6 from my El Capitan/Pages v5 computer?

Thank you so much,

Carla

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), Pages 5.6.2

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 7:27 AM

7 replies

Mar 1, 2018 9:35 AM in response to jpwriter

That document is already coming to you as an attachment.

The real issue, and one that I can reproduce here, is that Pages v5.6.2 does not support linked Text boxes (v6.2), or Bookmarks (v6.1). When I attempt to open a Pages v6.3.1 document that contains Linked Text boxes in Pages v5.6.2 — I get the familiar dialog:

User uploaded file

This will happen whenever Pages v6.3.1 or later features are included in the shared document, but are not features in Pages v5.6.2. If you both were using the same version of LibreOffice, or Word 2016 for Mac, you wouldn't have these issues — despite the differences in your current operating systems.

Mar 1, 2018 7:55 AM in response to VikingOSX

I get this message: "To open this document, you’ll need the latest version of Pages."

I don't have a /applications/iwork 09 folder.

Also, found this in one of the older discussions:

-------------------

Jan 2, 2017 2:37 PM in response to Helge100

Hi Helge,

Pages 6 is required for macOS Sierra, and is not compatible with OS X El Capitan.

Pages 5 runs in OS X El Capitan, but is not compatible with Sierra.

Pages 4 (Pages '09) works in El Capitan, and according to reports, in Sierra, but may not be compatible with the current version of iCloud (and will definitely not open documents form Pages for iOS, Pages 5 or Pages 6).

Pages 5 will open Pages 4 documents, and can export to Pages '09 format.

Pages 6 will (I think) open Pages 5 documents and can export to Pages 5, but cannot open or export to Pages '09.

Regards,

Barry

--------------------

Thanks for your help! Confused why you can open, but I can't...

Carla

Mar 1, 2018 7:33 AM in response to jpwriter

I have had no issue creating a document in Pages v6.3.1 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.3, and sharing that .pages document with Pages v5.6.2 on El Capitan 10.11.6.

What dialog do you get from Pages v5.6 or later on El Capitan when you attempt to open the Pages v6 document, and do you also have a /Applications/iWork '09 folder with Pages '09 in it?

Mar 1, 2018 8:14 AM in response to jpwriter

I just opened another document last revised by Pages v6.3.1 in Pages v5.6.2 without an issue. Please confirm that you are using Pages v5.6.2 — Pages menu : About Pages.

Although Pages v6.3.1 does support application-based collaboration, this is not a feature in Pages v5.6.2, and there may be something about the collaboration process that gets stored in a v6.3.1 document that Pages v5.6.2 has no idea how to handle.

Pages v5 that comes with El Capita not compatible with v6 that comes with High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.