Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like advice on merging two chat.db files

I have two chat.db files from my iMessages folders. One that was on my old laptop and one on my new. I see this topic being discussed here in the past few years on whether it's possible to merge them, but I am hoping that since those old messages, someone might have a new idea. I am running High Sierra on a MacBook. Thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 5:24 PM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2018 1:11 PM in response to michmaddy

Hi,

This is the closest I have seen.

https://gist.github.com/nschum/1cf00aee2f1ac8869df4

NOTE I have not tried this.

It is based for Yosemite when some of these Incompatible files first showed up.

If you read through you will see it seems to have something to do with the Darwin version changing.

If you are beyond Yosemite that you will need to make other changes regarding merging with a different Darwin version.

If...

You are talking about two computers and one has been Off Line for a while regarding the iMessages server then the iMessages servers may (I repeat May) catch up some of the more recent iMessages.

It's sort of expected that a computer may be Off line to the iMessages servers for a holiday or similar gap.

Unless you removed that computer from the listing at the iMessages servers then it should try to update the "missing" iMessages it has not received.

This is because each Login is based on the devices Serial Number making them Device Specific.

That said I feel you are saying this has not worked for you. That would seem to fit the posts here that it is still a hit and miss affair.

User uploaded file

9:11 pm Sunday; March 4, 2018

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Mar 5, 2018 8:20 AM in response to michmaddy

Due to the relatively small time gap, the sqlite3 databases will all have the same internal structure, but the sqlite3 merging issue remains. There are three sqlite3 databases and an accompanying deep hierarchy folder (Attachments) that internally, the database records probably point too — for the message content of your separate usage periods.

I believe any attempt to merge these six sqlite3 databases, and separate Attachment folders structure — to be overwhelmingly complex, and abandoned.

I would like advice on merging two chat.db files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.