Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shortcut key for new random number in excel

My book says to use f9 to get a new set of random numbers in excel. That doesn't work for me but Command + z works. Does anyone know a one key short cut?

iMac, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 9:55 PM

4 replies

Mar 2, 2018 7:26 AM in response to GGruby

On my Mac with Office 2011, if an Excel cell has the formula =RAND(), you can use fn-F9 to generate a new random number. It will update all cells with =RAND(), not just that one. You need to use the fn key.

I do not know of an equivalent key combo for Numbers. Usually it is recommended to put a checkbox in a cell that you can click on, which will recalculate the spreadsheet, including generating new random numbers. Another way would be to copy/paste a cell. Copy it once, paste as many times as you need to generate new numbers. Basically, any change to the spreadsheet will cause it to recalculate and to update random numbers.

Now if only I could get Office 2011 to quit asking me to enter the activation code every time I want to use it. I think Microsoft is trying to tick me off so much that I pay to upgrade to the latest version.

Shortcut key for new random number in excel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.