Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with Bootcamp, Windows 10 on iMac

I'm attempting to install Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft.com using Bootcamp Assistant on an iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017). After installation it gives an error "Windows could not pass or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]." Then it restarts into macOS and won't let me get into windows via option-boot. Opening Bootcamp assistant again, the only option is to remove bootcamp.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), null

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 5:04 AM

I wonder now if this has anything to do with me trying to install the 1709 ISO. I read an article about the 1703 ISO being supported. Maybe Apple has not yet provided a Bootcamp driver/installer update compatible with 1709? I'm downloading the 1703 ISO from Microsoft now and will report back here after installation.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 5:04 AM in response to davidventernet

I wonder now if this has anything to do with me trying to install the 1709 ISO. I read an article about the 1703 ISO being supported. Maybe Apple has not yet provided a Bootcamp driver/installer update compatible with 1709? I'm downloading the 1703 ISO from Microsoft now and will report back here after installation.

Mar 5, 2018 12:55 AM in response to Daniel_Nay

Hi Daniel,

Did you remove boot camp using the boot camp assistant or did you manually delete the partition? One way you may be able to fix this is through the disk utility app. Reformat the missing/unused space, then resize the Macintosh HD to fill the entire space. If you cannot do this while macOS is running, boot into recovery mode and do it using Disk Utility while in recovery mode. If that doesn't work then you may need to format the entire disk and re-install macOS.

To get Windows working: There seems to be an issue with the Win10_1709_x64.iso file. I recommend downloading an older version; 1703 (Creators Update) from the Microsoft website, then once it's installed, update to the latest version using Windows update. You can get the official link from http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-creators-update-1703-download-bu ild-15063/windows-10-creators-update-170…

Download the 1703 ISO. Run bootcamp assistant again. It'll create the partition again. Disconnect all external drives during the installation process. The 1703 ISO should install without any issues/errors. Please note that creating the partition may take some time. Boot camp assist may appear stuck but just wait it out.

Mar 5, 2018 2:45 AM in response to Daniel_Nay

Assuming you've got the latest version of macOS High Sierra, you no longer need to create an install disk (memory stick) for installing Windows. Simply download the ISO. Open Boot Camp Assistant and select the 1703 ISO to install Windows. It'll then download the Apple support software (Drivers, etc.), partition the drive, and reboot into the Windows Installer. IMPORTANT: disconnect all external drives/memory sticks/etc. before running Boot camp assistant otherwise it may not detect the correct partition during installation.

Issues with Bootcamp, Windows 10 on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.