Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install BootCamp Windows 10 on Macbook Pro 2018

I have a new MacBook Pro 2018, I9, 32Gb RAM, 2Tb SSD, running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 with the Supplemental update installed, and am unable to install Windows 10 using bootcamp. I have two programs that must use Windows and require communication protocols such that they cannot function under Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

When I initiate Bootcamp assistant it seems to work fine. The drivers download in the normal manner, and boot camp partitions the ssd as directed. My Windows 10 Pro is a new DVD version that I converted to an ISO file via the OSX disk utility, selecting the DVD Master mode, and then changing the suffix on the file from "cdr" to "iso". Windows setup in bootcamp appears to load in the normal manner from the iso, transferred to a jump drive, and gets to the last Windows setup step when it must reboot, and then flashes a Windows error message that Windows cannot boot from the drive.

The computer subsequently will not boot into MacOS or Windows. I use the Cmd-R command and go to disk utility where I erase the bootcamp partition, then restore from my Time Machine backup, at a loss of 4 hours of time for the restore process to complete. At that point, everything seems to work fine again in MacOS.

Bootcamp doesn't appear to be working in this new MacBook Pro 2018. I wonder why I cannot load windows directly from the DVD using my Apple SuperDrive, and whether my creation of the ISO file is correct. But the problem appears to occur in the partition routine, and in the machine's inability to boot to any partition after the Windows error message, and this suggests to me that the problem lies in the APFS drive and the boot camp process of partitioning the SSD.

I need to use windows 10 via bootcamp for these few apps that will not run in parallels.

Any notion of how to resolve the problem will be welcome.

Thanks!!!

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), 64Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 7:58 PM

• Disconnect all external storage. Your Mac requires no external storage to install Windows. External storage interferes with the installation process.
  • Download the Retail ISO from Microsoft's Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) and leave it in any folder other than Downloads. It should not be mounted. Your DVD-to-ISO conversion may be correct but if the source DVD contains multiple variants of W10, you will run into an issue.
  • Reset SMC and NVRAM.
  • Remove the old partition, using BCA, and re-run BCA and follow the prompts and try to install Windows.
  • Post any error messages.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2018 7:58 PM in response to William Mcclatchey1

• Disconnect all external storage. Your Mac requires no external storage to install Windows. External storage interferes with the installation process.
  • Download the Retail ISO from Microsoft's Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) and leave it in any folder other than Downloads. It should not be mounted. Your DVD-to-ISO conversion may be correct but if the source DVD contains multiple variants of W10, you will run into an issue.
  • Reset SMC and NVRAM.
  • Remove the old partition, using BCA, and re-run BCA and follow the prompts and try to install Windows.
  • Post any error messages.

Sep 23, 2018 3:25 PM in response to andy d france

andy d france wrote:

Thanks for the advice, i've been struggling for 4 hours over this before I found this article, culprit seems to be the drivers don't work properly with international english versions of windows 10.. no doubt that will start a mud slinging match between apple and microsoft.. but following your instructions to the letter and I finally successfully installed bootcamp drivers even if i have to suffer US english rather than UK english.

This procedure should work on the 2015 and later Macs - How to install Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support .

andy d france wrote:

Apple you say

" Boot Camp [Assistant] comes with your Mac and lets you install Microsoft Windows. No need to download anything yourself — just open Boot Camp Assistant and it will guide you through the rest."

Well that may work in the US but not on the rest of the planet..

I have installed English International on Macs without issues on many Macs. Can you elaborate on the specific issues you encountered?

Aug 15, 2018 7:33 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you for the reply, and for solving the problem.

As an aside, I have owned this Macbook Pro 2018 for only a week, and have spent over four hours at the Apple store support desk and on the phone with Apple support attempting to resolve this issue and a partitioning issue that occurred on the first Bootcamp install attempt and could not be addressed in Disk Utility. The Apple service personnel are terribly unfamiliar with this product (admitting as much in both the phone call with tier 1 personnel and the Apple Store encounters), and struggled with what should have been a straightforward problem. Likewise, the instructions in Bootcamp Assistant do not suggest what you have so kindly provided.

I have a DVD version of Windows 10, and the process outlined in BCA is inaccurate and inadequate. I thought (erroneously) that I could not use the download Windows 10 version as the activation key on the DVD would not work. Again, this should be clear. I certainly appreciate getting a more or less current version of Windows 10 via the download as opposed to a lengthy update session online with the DVD install, and the process you have outlined accomplished this.

So caveat emptor to potential purchasers of the new MacBook Pro 15" 2018. You are in for a rough ride as Apple disseminates the information on this latest addition to their stable of products through their support channels.

Thank you again for responding, and for helping to solve this problem. Windows and Bootcamp are up and running fine.

Sep 23, 2018 3:15 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the advice, i've been struggling for 4 hours over this before I found this article, culprit seems to be the drivers don't work properly with international english versions of windows 10.. no doubt that will start a mud slinging match between apple and microsoft.. but following your instructions to the letter and I finally successfully installed bootcamp drivers even if i have to suffer US english rather than UK english.

I've installed bootcamp several times on previous generations of laptop so was appauled to struggle through what used to be a simple process..

As William wrote the BCA is inaccurate and inadequate.

Apple you say

" Boot Camp comes with your Mac and lets you install Microsoft Windows. No need to download anything yourself — just open Boot Camp Assistant and it will guide you through the rest."

Well that may work in the US but not on the rest of the planet..

Cannot install BootCamp Windows 10 on Macbook Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.