Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So I have my all devices up to date and I never jail broke any of em. I have an antivirus on my Mac which suddenly started noticing threats on emails sent from my iPhone. Even more my iPhone seems to be sending replies that don’t show in mail app?

So I never jail broken any of my devices I keep em up to date too. Recently my antivirus on my Mac started blocking a threat from emails sent from my iPhone. If I sent myself an email from any other device or Mac it’s ok but an email from my phone shows a trj threat even more my iPhone sends replies that don’t show on mail app ?

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 7:03 AM

9 replies

Mar 2, 2018 3:40 PM in response to KiltedTim

Lol. U are really gullible. First of MacOS is just another Unix operating system and just as much as Linux can have a virus even I could write one, maybe you ever wondered what is a ‘terminal’ utility on your awesome Mac an why bash works on it ?? just because Apple does a good job updating its inner software and checking apps from ‘AppStore‘ does‘t mean you can’t get a virus on it, especially on a Mac, phone, IPad less likely but still and even if it wouldn’t affect your system directly it can still stay on your device and spread from it which is a problem unless you have no intention on ceresponding or sharing any work files or having any sort of integration with your work colleagues, friends or whatsoever. I would suggest getting one of those ’worthless’ antivirus and you’d find out how much of threat your Mac can be to others ... And if you still don’t believe in viruses on Mac I’ll post a report from avast from mine. Had to manually rm -fr part of .../Library/.../mail.. dir to get rid of it

Mar 2, 2018 5:46 PM in response to Caru85

You should have read your link more carefully.

There are NO macOS or iOS viruses currently in the wild. None. So there is currently nothing for any antivirus software to find. The last potential malware on iOS was the Indian language character which was plugged with iOS 11.2.6. All Apple OS's have been updated for Meltdown and Spectre.

How do you know your phone is sending the email? Do you use and email account that is only on your iPhone? Or are you getting an email from your mail account used on multiple devices? In that case someone is spoofing your address and that has nothing to do with your iPhone.

While macOS (and to a lesser extent iOS) are based upon a variant of Unix (in the case of macOS it uses the Darwin shell) it does not mean that it has the same vulnerabilities as other variants and it is far more secure than most initial installs of Linux. iOS is even more secure due to no user accessible file management and sand boxing of apps.

Mar 2, 2018 7:33 PM in response to Caru85

I didn't say you can't get a virus or that it will never happen. What I said was that there are NO viruses in the wild that can affect macOS.

You can post all the reports from avast you like. The fact is there are no viruses that can infect your Mac.

The problem you're experiencing is being directly caused by your antivirus software... This is a simple case of the cure being worse than the disease... But hey, you're going to do what you want...

Good luck.

So I have my all devices up to date and I never jail broke any of em. I have an antivirus on my Mac which suddenly started noticing threats on emails sent from my iPhone. Even more my iPhone seems to be sending replies that don’t show in mail app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.