Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.2.6 Battery drain issue

Ever since I updated to 11.2.6 my battery is in freefall.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 8:22 PM

Yeahhhh I hate this because it implies that somehow the battery being worse now is due to having changed some settings or something. Like, my iPhone's been at the SAME screen brightness for three years. It's not like I suddenly got hardcore with my usage, still using just like I was. My battery doesn't need to be serviced, but randomly drops 30% in about a minute. I know what apps are using the most power, but it's still not making a lot of sense as to why that's suddenly draining it when it was being used the SAME WAY TWO WEEKS AGO BEFORE I UPDATED. I didn't change anything. What did y'all change is the question here?

So no, Becky, this wasn't helpful. Something about this update is causing my battery to drain super fast while being used the same way it was before. So, instead of giving us tips on changing our screen brightness, did Apple do some sneaky crap like bury more location based ads and stuff we should know about to turn off?

Sorry, but I'm pretty over Apple playing helpful and trying to act like the error is the users doing. ITS NOT HOW IM HOLDING THE PHONE, ITS NOT MY SETTINGS GOING WHACK. I could lock this thing down, put it on airplane mode, battery saver mode, turn off every notification and location services, etc. But... I could also just go buy a Pixel 2 which has a battery that works and be done with a company blaming it's users for crap they're messing up.

Sooo... Got some actual advice or a date for the next update that will actually fix this?

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 8:22 PM in response to raina_b22

Yeahhhh I hate this because it implies that somehow the battery being worse now is due to having changed some settings or something. Like, my iPhone's been at the SAME screen brightness for three years. It's not like I suddenly got hardcore with my usage, still using just like I was. My battery doesn't need to be serviced, but randomly drops 30% in about a minute. I know what apps are using the most power, but it's still not making a lot of sense as to why that's suddenly draining it when it was being used the SAME WAY TWO WEEKS AGO BEFORE I UPDATED. I didn't change anything. What did y'all change is the question here?

So no, Becky, this wasn't helpful. Something about this update is causing my battery to drain super fast while being used the same way it was before. So, instead of giving us tips on changing our screen brightness, did Apple do some sneaky crap like bury more location based ads and stuff we should know about to turn off?

Sorry, but I'm pretty over Apple playing helpful and trying to act like the error is the users doing. ITS NOT HOW IM HOLDING THE PHONE, ITS NOT MY SETTINGS GOING WHACK. I could lock this thing down, put it on airplane mode, battery saver mode, turn off every notification and location services, etc. But... I could also just go buy a Pixel 2 which has a battery that works and be done with a company blaming it's users for crap they're messing up.

Sooo... Got some actual advice or a date for the next update that will actually fix this?

Mar 3, 2018 10:43 AM in response to Kitsap2017

Hey there, Kitsap2017.

It appears that the battery life of your iPhone 6 has decreased since updating it to iOS 11.2.6. I'm happy to help.

About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- You can use this article to determine which application(s) or service(s) are using the most power.

Batteries - Maximizing Performance -- This article contains great general and specific steps you can take to maximize the battery life of your iPhone. Don't neglect "Tips for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch" for steps specific for your iPhone. After you apply any step, test your device's battery for a bit and report back your findings.

If you see "Your iPhone battery may need to be serviced" -- If you go to Settings > Battery and you see that message, review the information in this article.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Mar 4, 2018 11:38 AM in response to Z4ngaro

The current replies for this battery issue are generic advisory from experts.

The drain problem has been identified on many devices even on my brand new out of the box iphone 8.

After update to IOS 11.2.6 battery is in freefall with limited to none usage.

This has been identified from multiple users worldwide. Fingers crossed to be resolved shorlty with a new ios update.

Mar 7, 2018 10:53 AM in response to raina_b22

Right, I am having the same issue with my Iphone6 and the update to 11.2.5. It was immediate. The phone worked fine. After the update, immediately after the update, without changing one single thing on my phone, the battery drains like crazy. The phone has also overheated twice since then, which it has never done in the 2 years I've owned it. I did a factory reset and left it that way for 4 days, not downloading anything new, and it still has the same problem. Figure it out Apple. Fix it. And WHILE you are fixing it, why don't you let us restore our phones to previous versions that actually worked? This is what really makes me mad about this situation.

Mar 17, 2018 3:17 AM in response to Eric Peniata

i'm using an iphone 7 plus and the same thing is happening to me! i updated my phone this morning. normally my phone lasts throughout the day - i'm talking from 8am (100% charged) to 10pm (sometimes even 50% charge with the use of facebook, instagram, whats app and calls). and now, it drops to 60% in the span of 2 hours. seriously, Apple. this is exactly WHY i hate updating my phone!!!! fix it, ffs!

Mar 19, 2018 4:20 PM in response to Eric Peniata

No, no fix yet. I am not confident there will be, I think Apple just wants us to buy new phones. I have tried everything Apple chat techs have suggested, and everything people have talked about on this page, and mine is still the same- it drops 1% every 1-2 minutes. It wouldn‘t be quite as frustrating if we could revert back to the version we had before the stupid update, but that would be too convenient.

Mar 19, 2018 11:56 PM in response to Kitsap2017

Same thing is happening to my iPad Po 12.9 first gen. Dropped from 20 to 0% in a min, multiple times. Thought my iPad is aging but shouldn’t be since it’s less than a year old. According to a battery test third party app, my battery wear level is only 3%. Is this a normal feature of the new update? I can send my iPad in for service but if the same one will be sent back to me, I don’t really want to bother with it.

Mar 20, 2018 6:42 PM in response to DaveGiles

hi everyone, my phone's battery life has improved since my last post on on 17 March. could this drain be due to the indexing that the phone goes through? i remember something similar happened when i updated the iOS to iOS 11. and when i read through forums, the reason was that the phone is re-indexing everything all over again, hence the battery drain. 😕

Mar 21, 2018 12:08 PM in response to raina_b22

Becky,

I have a company that runs on apple devices (about 35 devices between phones and ipads), almost throughout the entire company within the last 2-3 days we have seen a HUGE problem with battery drain on iphones, ipad mini and full size ipads. I looked through all the "standard" tech advice and that has not resolved the problem. Can you share some more detailed information on this issue please?

Mar 21, 2018 9:48 PM in response to Kitsap2017

As soon as I updated to 11.2.6 the issues started. All my friends also. Apple tell us it “our batter” and we need to replace it. It’s ********. They did this and won’t admit their mistake. Everyone who updated can’t possible need a new battery. Worked just fine before, and now I can’t use one app for 5 seconds without to dropping 50%. Then it just keeps dying. I have to carry my charging cord and plug EVERYWHERE and a backup battery pack. And it won’t charge as fast. Takes hours to get a full charge but then drains after one photo I take.

They need to fix this and stop telling the the consumers we need to spend more $$ to replace battery (which is a 2-6 week wait) or get a new phone.

Mar 23, 2018 9:17 AM in response to Kitsap2017

Apple knows the problem and the solution. The standard Apple solutions of stonewalling the issue and blaming the user is wearing thin. My iPhone 6+ is running iOS 11.3 beta exhibiting none of these issues. The iPhone 7+ has gone from a solid two day battery to twice a day charging. Apple wants me to purchase a new iPhone. I cannot live with charging two times per day. I may indeed buy a new phone but it will most certainly not be an iPhone.

11.2.6 Battery drain issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.