Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove certain holidays from my calendar (but not all us holidays)?

How do I room certain holidays from my calendar-but not all the US holidays?

iMac

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2018 6:04 PM

I want to use the app already on my phone; I don’t want to buy a new app and have to re-enter a years’ worth of work schedules (my workdays vary and are not onna fixed schedule) onto a new app.

Why is Apple so inflexible on this? It comes across as social engineering—forcing us to “recognize” events that are irrelevant or unnecessary on our calendars.

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2018 6:04 PM in response to stedman1

I want to use the app already on my phone; I don’t want to buy a new app and have to re-enter a years’ worth of work schedules (my workdays vary and are not onna fixed schedule) onto a new app.

Why is Apple so inflexible on this? It comes across as social engineering—forcing us to “recognize” events that are irrelevant or unnecessary on our calendars.

May 2, 2018 6:00 PM in response to KiltedTim

I don’t want to re-enter a year’s worth of events in a new Calendar app, and I would like to pick and choose the holidays and recognition days that Apple programs into MY calendar. I use my IPhone exclusively, not a laptop or tablet.

My question was “do you know why Apple restricts our freedom to choose” what is on our Calendar? And why would they take our choices away, when that just drives our business to competing apps? Thx for the help; I appreciate it.

May 2, 2018 6:41 PM in response to stedman1

I’m not a techie; when you say “subscribe to another calendar” that sounds as if you are recommending buying aNEW APP in the App Store.

I don’t want to move events from my IPhone calendar to a new app. In order to remove some of the holidays that I do not observe and that clutter up my calendar, I apparently have to remove ALL of them. Yes, or No?

May 2, 2018 3:30 PM in response to Barney-15E

Perhaps you can dumb it down a bit more for me? Let’s start with the fact that I’m using an iPhone X and I don’t have access to iTunes. So, what I’m understanding from your post is that, yes, I do in fact need to download a special app or calendar of my own and manually move all of my events onto that calendar rather than just have Apple do what many people are asking and give people the power to delete the holidays they don’t want by themselves? Did I understand that correctly? If not, would you mind going over it again for me? Thanks so much!

Apr 18, 2018 1:52 PM in response to KiltedTim

How do I “subscribe to one that does”. Are you suggesting we stop using our IPhone calendar and go to the App Store and get a different calendar app? That would require manually moving all my events to a new app...

How do we let Apple know that we don’t like being forced into “holiday” entries that we cannot change?

Thanks for your help!

May 3, 2018 10:48 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I have not seen any screenshots in these responses. In my Calendar app, there is only the US Holiday calendar “subscription”. And I don’t know how to find another “subscription” to use, because when I click on the circled “I”, it only shows me US Holidays. I’m not accustomed to the term “subscription” when using an IPhone, only APPS that are free or paid, so forgive me for not being up to your standards.

I already stated that I don’t want to have to re enter a yr’s worth of events onto another calendar—whether it was a new app or a “subscription”. I just kept asking if I could remove only SOME of the holidays from Apple’s US Holidays. Now I know I can’t.

Thanks for the help

May 3, 2018 8:03 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Unfortunately these directions

Don’t work because there is no “subscribed calendars” under their new downloaded version which is why I’ll have to go in.

:

In iOS

1. Tap Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Subscribed Calendars.
  2. Tap Subscribed Calendars, and then tap the calendar that you want to delete.

Tap Delete Account, and then tap Delete Account again to confirm.

The calendar subscription is removed

Again, I do appreciate the help, but they just updated their system, and I believe they removed that option or else they moved it- one of the two

May 3, 2018 9:20 AM in response to LivingDeadGirl97

Unfortunately these directions

Don’t work because there is no “subscribed calendars” under their new downloaded version which is why I’ll have to go in.

IOS

This is not the iOS forum.

However,

On my iPhone, I just clicked on Calendars (in the app),

clicked the Info button ℹ,

scrolled to the bottom and Delete Calendar.

In macOS, right-click on the calendar and choose Unsubscribe.

Now, go find a shared calendar that has what you want--this may not be successful. Some of the sharing sites link to old Apple calendars that may not work anymore.

Step 1: Open the Google

Step 2: Search for "subscribed calendars" -- amazingly, this will also give you instructions on how to remove a subscribed calendar, too. You can also search for "ical calendars"

Step 3: Follow instruction on calendar sharing page to subscribe to the desired calendar. Usually, all you have to do is click the button.

If you want to have it on all your devices, see how to set up a subscribed calendar in iCloud: Use iCloud calendar subscriptions - Apple Support

To get the URL of the shared calendar from something like iCalShare, right-click on the button and choose Copy Link.

If you don't find one of your liking, you will have to manually create a new calendar and enter the events manually. If you have multiple devices, set it up on iCloud.

Most holidays can be easily repeated (first monday in Sept). However, things like Easter which are based on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox will have to be manually updated every year.

May 2, 2018 7:11 PM in response to LivingDeadGirl97

You're the one who wrote: "...Perhaps you can dumb it down a bit more for me?..."

I'm certainly not being condescending. I'm trying to use a different visual to explain how to change calendars because both you and the OP appeared to be having trouble understanding the other folks who were trying to help.

If you took that for being anything other than helpful, you have also misunderstood me.

May 3, 2018 7:54 AM in response to LivingDeadGirl97

Did you read the link in the response Barney gave you in his first response at 6:41p on May 2? It has step-by-step instructions with pictures.

Here it is again:

How to Find and Subscribe to Calendars for Just About Anything with iCalShare

See also these articles by Apple:

Use iCloud calendar subscriptions - Apple Support

Subscribe to calendars on Mac - Apple Support

I found these by searching for "apple ical subscribe"

May 3, 2018 10:55 AM in response to melody145

melody145 wrote:

I have not seen any screenshots in these responses.

I never said they were. They are in one of the links:

How to Find and Subscribe to Calendars for Just About Anything with iCalShare

This link is also for a website that has many, many calendars. Did you check out any of the links that have been provided? Here are the other two I provided:

Use iCloud calendar subscriptions - Apple Support

Subscribe to calendars on Mac - Apple Support

Here are the instructions Barney-15E already typed out:

In macOS, right-click on the calendar and choose Unsubscribe.

Now, go find a shared calendar that has what you want--this may not be successful. Some of the sharing sites link to old Apple calendars that may not work anymore.

Step 1: Open the Google

Step 2: Search for "subscribed calendars" -- amazingly, this will also give you instructions on how to remove a subscribed calendar, too. You can also search for "ical calendars"

Step 3: Follow instruction on calendar sharing page to subscribe to the desired calendar. Usually, all you have to do is click the button.

If you want to have it on all your devices, see how to set up a subscribed calendar in iCloud: Use iCloud calendar subscriptions - Apple Support

To get the URL of the shared calendar from something like iCalShare, right-click on the button and choose Copy Link.

We have provided you with all the information you need to find a calendar file that better meets your needs and subscribe to it so that it will show up in the very calendar app you're using now. Please, please, look at the links, read the whole thread. It's all there.

May 2, 2018 3:41 PM in response to LivingDeadGirl97

Did I understand that correctly?

You've got it, mostly. You don't have to move your events to any other calendar. You can have just about as many calendars showing as you can stand.

Being on an iPhone or a Mac doesn't matter. You can subscribe to any calendar that offers a compatible calendar format. You don't have to go through iTunes, but I'm not sure why you don't have access to iTunes on the iPhone X, I have it on my iPhone 7.

Here's a web page the explains how to find and subscribe to calendars: How to Find and Subscribe to Calendars for Just About Anything with iCalShare

How do I remove certain holidays from my calendar (but not all us holidays)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.