Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Endless loop of Apple ID Locked

I have an Apple ID that I created that does not have a credit card associated with it. I know the password and can answer all the security questions. I can login to the iCloud website with it, but not iCloud on the iPhone. The Apple ID doesn't work in the app store to download a free app (I have tried a couple solitaire games and password utility) either. As soon as I click on the free app it asks me to provide the password. As soon as I provide the password it says "The Apple ID has been locked for security reasons. To unlock it, you must verify your identity." I have gone through the unlock process several times, both resetting the password be email and resetting the password by answering the security questions. This process is successful in that the new password does work when I login to the iCloud website, but it still won't work in the app store. It continues to tell me my Apple ID has been locked for security reasons.

I have searched for a solution to this and found similar issues, but none of those resolutions either pertain or work for this issue.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 11:07 AM

You may have already seen these articles, but they do pertain to your billing information, which seems to be the issue with the 'repeatedly-locking' Apple ID:

If you can't choose None when you edit your Apple ID payment information - Apple Support

Create or use your Apple ID without a payment method - Apple Support

The first article provides this cryptic message:

If you're using the iTunes Store or App Store for the first time

If you're using the store for the first time with an existing Apple ID, you must provide a payment method. After you create the account, you can change your payment information to None.

If you're creating a new Apple ID, you might be able to create an account without entering your credit card details.

From that, it seems that you may have to provide a payment method for the first purchase, after which you can change your payment method to 'None.'

I would also try restarting your device and then (if nothing else works and this is possible with your individual situation) signing out and back in on your device.

Worst case scenario, contact iTunes Support here: iTunes Store - Contact Us - Apple Support

Or contact the general Apple Support team here: Get started

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 11:07 AM in response to CMcDonald303

You may have already seen these articles, but they do pertain to your billing information, which seems to be the issue with the 'repeatedly-locking' Apple ID:

If you can't choose None when you edit your Apple ID payment information - Apple Support

Create or use your Apple ID without a payment method - Apple Support

The first article provides this cryptic message:

If you're using the iTunes Store or App Store for the first time

If you're using the store for the first time with an existing Apple ID, you must provide a payment method. After you create the account, you can change your payment information to None.

If you're creating a new Apple ID, you might be able to create an account without entering your credit card details.

From that, it seems that you may have to provide a payment method for the first purchase, after which you can change your payment method to 'None.'

I would also try restarting your device and then (if nothing else works and this is possible with your individual situation) signing out and back in on your device.

Worst case scenario, contact iTunes Support here: iTunes Store - Contact Us - Apple Support

Or contact the general Apple Support team here: Get started

Mar 2, 2018 12:19 PM in response to zfJames

Thank you for your reply zfJames.

The first link didn't apply because I was able to choose none for payment. The second link is the one that I followed to create the AppleID and it seemed to work perfectly per the instructions. Sorry I forgot to mention that I had restarted the iPhone several times.

I had NOT tried signing out of the device, selecting a free app and then signing in at the time of "purchase". That is what finally got it.

Thanks again!

Endless loop of Apple ID Locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.