Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth keyboard and FaceTime

I used to be able to click on keys, during a call to my voice mail, to get messages on my iMac. Quite some time ago, that functionality stopped being available - I think it was when I upgraded to Sierra????

I have already submitted a trouble report some time ago, but it still doesn't allow me to click on keys during a call (10.13.3). I hope that is clear - if you call from your handset and the voice messaging service asks you to enter your password, you tap the keys on the handset and all is good. I cannot do that on my Bluetooth keyboard and have not been able to do it for quite some time - it did work several OS's ago.

Does anyone know of a workaround? I saw a keypad entry app at the App Store but some reviews complained that you still could not use it during a call. [The developer response was less than useful.]

I tried use Keyboard Viewer but that did not work either.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 3:36 PM

2 replies

Mar 4, 2018 2:17 PM in response to chuckefus

OK - I have been googling this some more today. I cannot recall where I saw it but someone posted that one has to click on the "mute" option in the FaceTime banner to allow the keyboard entry to be used during a call.

That made zero sense to me at the time - mute means mute. But I just now tried it - and it works.

Go figure.

So call your voicemail (or whatever that requires key entries during a call), when the service picks up, click "mute" in the FaceTime banner - and then one can click on any desired option.

User uploaded file

Mar 3, 2018 12:59 PM in response to chuckefus

After I upgraded my MacBook Air to 10.13.3 just now, I tried FaceTime there to see if I could get into my messages*. As with my iMac, I could call but I could not enter my password!

I confirmed that everything is OK with my iPhone - I can call AND enter my password from there.

So the problem is NOT the Bluetooth keyboard - it's FaceTime.

*I don't think I was clear but I am trying to get into my voice mail associated with my home phone.

Bluetooth keyboard and FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.