Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Dell UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD 4K Monitor with PremierColor: UP3216Q to Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Hello Guys,

I am thinking of purchasing Dell's UP3216Q in order to use it with my Mac Pro (Late 2013 model). I already have an Apple Display connected to my Mac Pro and would like to use Dell's monitor as an additional one. Questions I have:

(1) Is Dell's Monitor UP3216Q fully compatible with Mac Pro (Late 2013 Model) or will I struggle with compatibility issues?

(2) Will my Mac Pro be able to fully support both Apple Display as well as Dell's Monitor at full resolutions both running at the same time?

(3) What is the best adaptor to buy with Dell's monitor to be able to connect it to my mac pro and run it at full resolutions with no issue?

(4) Do you guys recommend alternative to Dell's UP3216Q monitor in terms of compatibility with Mac Pro?

Thanks,

Shadi.

Mac Pro (Late 2013), iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 6:32 AM

1. The Dell UP3216Q is "plug n play" with your year model Mac Pro.

2. Yes, your Mac Pro supports 3 5K or 6 Thunderbolt displays.

User uploaded file

see > Mac Pro (Late 2013) - Technical Specifications

3. Plug the included Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable into one of your Mac's Thunderbolt ports.

User uploaded file

see > Dell Ultra Sharp UP3216Q 32 4k Monitor

4. You should find that monitor equal to, if not better the your current branded display.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 6:32 AM in response to Shadi.Apple

1. The Dell UP3216Q is "plug n play" with your year model Mac Pro.

2. Yes, your Mac Pro supports 3 5K or 6 Thunderbolt displays.

User uploaded file

see > Mac Pro (Late 2013) - Technical Specifications

3. Plug the included Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable into one of your Mac's Thunderbolt ports.

User uploaded file

see > Dell Ultra Sharp UP3216Q 32 4k Monitor

4. You should find that monitor equal to, if not better the your current branded display.

Mar 3, 2018 6:35 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.

So I do not have to worry at all about not getting the ultimate performance from the monitor when running it simultaneously on my Mac Pro along with Apple Display. As I read few articles which said I will not be able to run it at 60Hz only at 30Hz does this ring any bell to you?

Also what do you think of Dell UltraSharp 27 4K Monitor: U2718Q is it also fully compatible with MacPro? And there is no need to buy any further dongles to connect it to my MacPro?

Thanks,

Shadi.

Mar 3, 2018 7:14 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I am trying to sum up what you say here and please correct me if I am wrong. Dell U2718Q is a compatible monitor with Mac Pro (Late 2013 model). However, there will be some inconsistencies experienced every now and then? And the best way to connect it to my Mac Pro is through the provided Dell's cable Mini Display Port to Display Port and through this cable my Mac Pro will be able to run Dell's monitor at 60Hz?

Mar 3, 2018 2:29 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I came across the below website and it is stated on it that "Firstly, an HDR10 signal is only supported via HDMI, as both of the DisplayPorts are of the older 1.2 variety, limiting connectivity to only one source." :

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/monitors/109724-dell-ultrasharp-u2718q/

I am wondering if first of all my Mac Pro (late 2013) support HDR capability available on Dell's U2718Q monitor? Secondly, if I use Belkin Ultra High Speed 4K HDMI cable advertised on Apple's website as a connecting cable will I be getting full compatibility between Dell's monitor and my Mac Pro in terms of resolutions, refresh rate and HDR capability?

If anyone have this a try please provide you feedback.

Thanks,

Shadi.

Connecting Dell UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD 4K Monitor with PremierColor: UP3216Q to Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.