Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the Dell 3216Q work with my MacBook Pro 2018 and how do I connect it

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 2018 and I would like to add an external display do my setup. I’ve been looking at the Dell 3216Q monitor. Just wondering what people’s experiences are using this setup. Thanks guys

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 12:51 PM

Yes, Richardggmu, it should work fine. Mind you, the Dell monitor isn't particularly Mac friendly, don't know if that matters much. You can connect it via Displayport/ MiniDisplayPort to get the 4k resolution. Just checked out the retail price on that monitor....whew !! I don't know if your MacBook Pro 2018 will still have the same "disagreements" between it and the monitor. Apparently....it does Displayport over USB-C, HDMI or Thunderbolt using the appropriate cables/adapters. Anyways, back to the "Disagreements". I solved that with an EDID overrride for Dell Monitors on Mac, which is out there somewhere. There are other monitors that are more Mac friendly, maybe cheaper. If price was no object, I suppose you could go for a straight Thunderbolt monitor, which would get you 5k for one monitor, or 4k for two monitors.

john b

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2018 12:51 PM in response to Richardggmu

Yes, Richardggmu, it should work fine. Mind you, the Dell monitor isn't particularly Mac friendly, don't know if that matters much. You can connect it via Displayport/ MiniDisplayPort to get the 4k resolution. Just checked out the retail price on that monitor....whew !! I don't know if your MacBook Pro 2018 will still have the same "disagreements" between it and the monitor. Apparently....it does Displayport over USB-C, HDMI or Thunderbolt using the appropriate cables/adapters. Anyways, back to the "Disagreements". I solved that with an EDID overrride for Dell Monitors on Mac, which is out there somewhere. There are other monitors that are more Mac friendly, maybe cheaper. If price was no object, I suppose you could go for a straight Thunderbolt monitor, which would get you 5k for one monitor, or 4k for two monitors.

john b

Oct 31, 2018 12:58 PM in response to Johnb-one

Hi Johnb-One. Thanks for your reply. Yes from what I've been reading this monitor does seem to have some issues connecting to Macs. The more I read about it it sounds like I'd be better going for a USB-C monitor. I had found a good deal on the Dell monitor so that was why I tempted by it. There's some good deals on the BenQ EW3270U. Only drawback is that it doesn't charge the MacBook. Is there any monitors that you would recommened. Would like a 32 inch display.

Nov 1, 2018 5:16 AM in response to Richardggmu

Yeah-dell’s okay. I’m no expert but i’d say check out LG, asus, maybe samsung. Don’t expect cheap, though. Actually, install the EDID override first then give the dell a try, and save your receipt. If it doesn’t work out, try something else. Even though i have installed the EDID override, which solved most of my problem, i still have to unplug + replug the usb 3 cable at the back of the monitor once in a while to get the usb downstream to work, for charging. Annoying but no biggie-can’t figure out why it doesn’t work all the time though

Anyways -just my thots on this. I’d get a 4k monitor too... but i’ m on ssdi.. so yeah.... broke more often than not.

John b

Will the Dell 3216Q work with my MacBook Pro 2018 and how do I connect it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.