Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion match - How to get text to stick to object using four point

Hi!

I have just started using motion 5, intentions mostly being to learn how to use motion tracking for projects in FCPX. Using youtube and forums I have learned how to do the basic tracking using motion match (single point and two points (rotate), and I can make e.g. text follow objects in the video. But for some reason (likely user error..) I cannot get the text to follow an object using the "four point" options. In my specific situation I want to motion track the four corners of a sunroof on a car from a drone perspective, so that I can place a piece of text on the roof of the car just behind the sunroof, and have it trace, rotate and zoom with the car as if the text is actually on the car.

When I start "analyzing" the four corners of the sunroof, everything seems to be ok. The corners are traced perfectly, but the text doesnt follow the car! It just stays static as if no motion tracking was applied. Is there a check box or something I have not checked? I am sure this is user error, could someone please explain to me how to get the text follow the car using four point motion match?

Q1: How can I make the text (box) stick to the car / trace the car using the "four points" option)

Q2: Can someone explain to me how exactly the different points work together? Or point me in the right direction to a nice tutorial? I mean, do the tracing points look at the difference between each other to know how to scale the text box (in my example), or does it just look at its own "tracking dot" square and the pixels inside to know how to scale the text box?

Thank you =)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), nVidia 775m, 3.4GHz i5, 16GB RAM

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 12:54 PM

3 replies

Motion match - How to get text to stick to object using four point

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.