Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.osinstallersetup.LinkFileDownload error 3.)

Okay, so this is a bit of a story, but here's the short version: I was trying to get MacOS High Sierra installed from a bootable drive, and I got this error. If you want some detail but not all, read after the dashes. Now for the full version.

I got this laptop from my sister, who hadn't updated it in a while (it was still on Yosemite). When I got it from her, factory reset it by erasing the drive and reinstalling OSX. Though, when I went to install Mac, it said the item wasn't available in my country. After a while I figured out it was because Apple deleted it from their servers, so I created a bootable High Sierra drive and installed from there, and it worked. So there's the begaining.

Now, I really wanted to use some Windows-only apps, but I'm not a huge fan of virtual machines, so I used Bootcamp Assistant to install Windows 10.

Here's where it gets a little confusing, as I can not remember all of this perfectly, nor find it in my search history. So I installed Windows 10, but it would load literally all the time. And I'm not just talking about bad ram - even if I did nothing and let it be for five hours, it would still be loading. So for whatever reason, the tutorial that seemed to best fit my circumstance was one that involved turning on 'safe mode' for Windows, booting into it, and removing some software that apparently was causing this (this is where I can't remember - I don't know the software or the commands). I did this, running the commands and all. I thought all was good, and I booted back into Windows. But it told me that Windows failed to start.

Okay, so here's the stupid part. I decided to just get rid of Windows and use Parallels, because this obviously wasn't working. Well, instead of holding the option key and booting into Mac, I booted into recovery. Then, instead of repartitioning my disk, I wanted to literally delete and remove the Windows disk (I know it was stupid - don't hate on me). So I went to terminal and ran a couple of diskutil commands - first erasing the disk, and then complete removing it. But when removing it, I stupidly typed in the wrong disk name. I accidentally typed in the disk name for the master disk of Mac and Windows. So it not only deleted, but removed the disk. Lots haopened around here, but in short, I was able to find the disk as hidden when I first booted it, force mount it, and repartition it to one partition.

So all is good, right? Wrong. I recreated the bootable drive for High Sierra, booted into it, and went to the installer. I click install, and it doing fine, until about 20 minutes later when it says "Okay, so this is a bit of a story, but here's the short version: I was trying to get MacOS High Sierra installed from a bootable drive, and I got this error. Now for the full version.

I got this laptop from my sister, who hadn't updated it in a while (it was still on Yosemite). When I got it from her, factory reset it by erasing the drive and reinstalling OSX. Though, when I went to install Mac, it said the item wasn't available in my country. After a while I figured out it was because Apple deleted it from their servers, so I created a bootable High Sierra drive and installed from there, and it worked. So there's the begaining.

Now, I really wanted to use some Windows-only apps, but I'm not a huge fan of virtual machines, so I used Bootcamp Assistant to install Windows 10. Here's where it gets a little confusing.

Windows 10 was literally constantly buffering and freeezing. Like I didn't do anything and just let it load for 5 hours, and when I came back it still was. I looked it up, and what looked like the best option suggested that I enable 'safe mode' and run some commands to uninstall some software that aparently was causing the loading. So I did. All seemed fine, but when I booted back into Windows, it told me thaf it failed to boot.

-----------------------------------

I was done with Boot Camp and ready for Parallels, so I decided to just get rid of it.

I did this incredibly stupidly though. Instead of actually uninstalling it or even repartitioning Mac, I decided to go into recovery and run some diskutil commands to erase and remove the drive for Windows. When I removed it, though, I accidentally typed in the wrong disk name, and instead removed the master disk (disk2) for Mac and Windows. It wouldn't appear in Disk Utility.

Long story short, after a while it reappeared as hidden, I force mounted it (it wouldn't mount otherwise), and I repartitioned it to one partition.

Seems to be great, right? Well, I recreated the bootable drive for High Sierra, and booted into it.

I ran the MacOS High Sierra installer, and after about 20 minutes, I get this message: "The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.osinstallersetup.LinkFileDownload error 3.)" Any idea what this could mean? If someone could just explain the error code to me I could probably figure it out, but I can't find it anywhere else.

Thanks so much,

Brad

P.S. if it helps, I noticed that right after attempting to install High Sierra, disk utility wouldn't show the drive at all until I rebooted again.

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 5:03 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 3, 2018 5:46 PM in response to B.rad42

B.rad42 wrote:

When I got it from her, factory reset it by erasing the drive and reinstalling OSX. Though, when I went to install Mac, it said the item wasn't available in my country. After a while I figured out it was because Apple deleted it from their servers, so I created a bootable High Sierra drive and installed from there, and it worked. So there's the begaining.

Since you have installed High Sierra cleanly on this Mac, I suggest you boot from your HS installer, erase the whole internal disk, install HS and updated to the latest available update in App Store, and then retry the Windows installation.

What is the year/model of the Mac (do not post the serial number)? Please ensure that your Mac supports High Sierra.

The error is due to a file (or more) that is downloaded from Apple servers, as part of the macOS installation. The bootable USB does not have all the software that macOS needs. You may also want to verify that your Internet connection is stable and reliable.

The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.osinstallersetup.LinkFileDownload error 3.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.