Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder search not seeing Word doc contents

(Using High Sierra 10.13.3)

Using Cmd-F in Finder, adding a line to specify "contents contains 'the'," no results. (Obviously, I have a large number of Word documents that contain the word "the".) I've tried this in multiple folders/locations, with no luck. Easy Find is also returning no results for the same search.

I've tried re-indexing my entire hard drive by moving it into and then out of the "privacy"/not searched area of Spotlight preferences. This also didn't help.

I recently downloaded and started using the latest version of MS Office/Word. Not sure if this could have anything to do with it.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), Apple TV tvOS 9.2.1 (13Y772)

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 6:15 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 4, 2018 7:38 AM in response to CharethCutestory

To get the most out of the Finder search process, I have the following Finder Preferences configured:

• General : New Finder windows show: home folder (login name with a house icon).
  • Advanced : When performing a search : Search the Current Folder

The second option will show on the results sub-panel as the current directory name in quotes, with This Mac to its left. If nothing is found in the current directory, then one clicks This Mac to expand the search.

It is a good idea to not search for an article (e.g. the), but to search for a quoted string enclosing the article, adjective, or noun that follows.

The Finder Get Info treats all Word documents as kind:Microsoft Word Document. Spotlight treats all .doc files as kind:Microsoft Word Document (or kind:word for short). However, it treats all .docx as kind:3rd party formats (or kind:3rd +.doc for short). Ordinarily, you should be able to enter a properly refined search string and either tool should locate the document. But sometimes, one must use the kind:3rd format with a refined string to find the Word .docx document. This is a PITA.

I wrote a Spotlight independent, Python program that given a search string and starting path, will return the path of all Word .doc/x files containing the search string.

Finder search not seeing Word doc contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.