Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spotlight

I recently upgraded Mac High Sierra to 10.13.4 and now Spotlight and Finder can't find some of the words that I am searching for in some of my Microsoft Word documents. I know they're there, and I have reindexed Spotlight. Is Mac having a war with Microsoft Word, what can I do to repair this, and is there a recommended Search system that I can download that is more reliable than Spotlight and Finder?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2018 9:00 AM

You have the Spotlight Search Results category Documents selected, correct?

What results do you achieve using the following Spotlight search? The +.doc will allow .doc/x documents, but exclude templates and macros. The name: operator can accept the explicit document name, or a partial string (e.g. myword) of the document name. It can be omitted if you don't know either.

kind:word +.doc name:myword "search string"

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2018 9:00 AM in response to Donald Koepp

You have the Spotlight Search Results category Documents selected, correct?

What results do you achieve using the following Spotlight search? The +.doc will allow .doc/x documents, but exclude templates and macros. The name: operator can accept the explicit document name, or a partial string (e.g. myword) of the document name. It can be omitted if you don't know either.

kind:word +.doc name:myword "search string"

Apr 5, 2018 6:38 AM in response to Donald Koepp

Open the Documents folder, then type in your search criteria in the search field, you should then see Documents appear next to This Mac in the Search title, click on it to highlight it, and your results will be revealed.

so that is a Finder search, your original question was about Spotlight. Open System Preferences> Spotlight> Search Results make sure Documents is checked in the list.

User uploaded file

Apr 5, 2018 4:48 AM in response to Donald Koepp

I have the following Finder Preferences set:

• General : New Finder windows show: (the house icon with your short login name)
  • Advanced : When performing a search: Search the Current Folder

And from the Finder View menu, Show Path Bar.

Now, when you get the results of a Finder search, you can single-click on the document icon and the Path Bar will show you where the file is located. If Documents appears as a folder icon in that Path Bar results, then simply double-click on that Documents folder icon in the Path Bar to open the Documents folder. You can also click on the Documents folder entry under the Finder window's Favorites panel.

spotlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.