Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight finds too much

Okay, this has been a problem for a while now. I didn't see any discussions on this one specifically.

Spotlight somehow manages to find specific text in just about everything on my Mac. There are times when I might want it to find text within documents, but more often than not, the title is all I'm going for. Is there some way to tell it to lay off the text?

Thanks

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 16, 2019 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2019 8:07 AM

Locally, Spotlight can find text in files, or in filenames. There is no means to tell it to find just "title" text. What you can do is give it helper suggestions to significantly reduce the results.

You can specify the kind of document, and a partial name, along with a double-quote enclosed full or partial title string. Let's say that I am looking for a title that contains "The Strange Man's Arrival" in a Word document named TIM.docx.

kind:word name:TIM AND "The Strange Man"

The only hit is that document.

In the Finder Help menu, enter the word Spotlight in the search field. Choose the selection in the following image. This will show what you can do to refine your Spotlight searches:

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2019 8:07 AM in response to Brett Feinblatt

Locally, Spotlight can find text in files, or in filenames. There is no means to tell it to find just "title" text. What you can do is give it helper suggestions to significantly reduce the results.

You can specify the kind of document, and a partial name, along with a double-quote enclosed full or partial title string. Let's say that I am looking for a title that contains "The Strange Man's Arrival" in a Word document named TIM.docx.

kind:word name:TIM AND "The Strange Man"

The only hit is that document.

In the Finder Help menu, enter the word Spotlight in the search field. Choose the selection in the following image. This will show what you can do to refine your Spotlight searches:

Spotlight finds too much

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.