Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Windows "Your photo and video library is being prepared"

I have had this issue for about 6 months now, where my photos are never downloaded.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, tried on different computer etc. nothing fixes it.

My tray icon \ Download pictures will always pop up a message "Your photo and video library is being prepared"

It never completes.

It has CPU and high disk activity on the C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\Apple Inc\iCloudPhotoLibrary\client.db-wal file.

This file never changes its byte count, and never seems to complete.

Because i have tried on other fresh computers, i suspect its account or iCloud database related.

My Photos from my phone are still uploading to the icloud , i can view them from the browser, but i want them to also come down to my computer for extra backup reasons.

I have spanned multiple versions of the icloud agent, and even used process monitor and wireshark to see if i can find a fault, but have been unsuccessful.

The only solution for me is to plug in my phone to my computer via USB and perform an oldschool photo import every few months, but this is horrible.

Anyone have any tips?

iPod shuffle, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2018 1:45 AM

Good news people, the latest icloud update\agent seems to have sorted it out.

I updated 2 days ago to version 7.4.0.111 and it seems to be downloading my icloud photo library again.

pity it took 6 months of downtime, but it seems to be working for me now.

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 2, 2018 8:05 AM in response to Geniee

I have exactly the same issue as you. I currently have an open case with Apple Tech Support, and I get weekly phone calls / emails from them with "we're still looking into this" but no solution yet. I've uploaded logs, run tests for them, and more.

If you drop me an email and as soon as I hear anything I'll let you know.

On a side note, do you have any issues with screenshots taken with your iPhone? Mine seem to duplicate randomly, and this only seems to have manifested since the iCloud library issue. Might just be coincidental?

[Email Edited by Host]

Mar 20, 2018 2:00 PM in response to Burratha

Nah my photos seem fine, just frustrating and it must be account related because I’ve tried on multiple computers and it repeats the same library is being processed message on the new computer. I’m guessing the database on the apple end is in a strange state , yours could be the same but maybe a little worse if it’s doubling up screenshots. Either way I don’t think there is much we can do and it’s pretty pathetic they can’t figure it out...

iCloud Windows "Your photo and video library is being prepared"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.