Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan Noise and lagging

My MacbookPro is nearly 5 years old now and has suddenly started having problems with constant lagging no matter what I am doing on my laptop. As well as the fan always being on high, despite my laptop being cold. It is very noisy, and hard to use the laptop as the lagging is interferring with what work I am trying to do.

I have tried restarting my MacbookPro, clearing history, clearing caches, checking all my iOS are up to date and making sure there is enough memory space. I haven't dropped or caused any damage to my laptop so am wondering if there are any solutions anyone can think of that I would be able to do myself.

Thanks 🙂

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 1:04 AM

Start here - About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support - particularly the bit about resetting the SMC if all else fails.

I also suspect there may be a process running on your machine which is eating a lot of CPU time. Activity Monitor can help show what processes are running and their CPU load. Spotlight, as mentioned in the above article, may well be a culprit.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 1:04 AM in response to jjliobgvd

Start here - About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support - particularly the bit about resetting the SMC if all else fails.

I also suspect there may be a process running on your machine which is eating a lot of CPU time. Activity Monitor can help show what processes are running and their CPU load. Spotlight, as mentioned in the above article, may well be a culprit.

Fan Noise and lagging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.