Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

this app requires specific features not available on this device

So i recently moved to the US from Egypt, do i need to throw away my Iphone and Ipad and buy a new one??!!

iPhone 7, iOS 11.2.6, null

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 10:18 AM

H2018 wrote:

nothing is banned in Egypt, and everything works in the US using my roaming sim card

Then what is the problem?

Phones who's model ends in AE, generally are meant for regions where Facetime is banned or restricted.

If it was a phone mean for Egypt, Apple clearly states it may not have Facetime outside of Egypt or its carriers.

Egypt restricts Facetime, and last year banned VOIP services all together,

Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in Africa - Apple Support

FaceTime might be unavailable if your device originates from Egypt and becomes unlocked or is used in another country or region.

http://identity-mag.com/egypts-government-shuts-voip-like-skype-facetime-fb-mess enger/

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 10:18 AM in response to H2018

H2018 wrote:

nothing is banned in Egypt, and everything works in the US using my roaming sim card

Then what is the problem?

Phones who's model ends in AE, generally are meant for regions where Facetime is banned or restricted.

If it was a phone mean for Egypt, Apple clearly states it may not have Facetime outside of Egypt or its carriers.

Egypt restricts Facetime, and last year banned VOIP services all together,

Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in Africa - Apple Support

FaceTime might be unavailable if your device originates from Egypt and becomes unlocked or is used in another country or region.

http://identity-mag.com/egypts-government-shuts-voip-like-skype-facetime-fb-mess enger/

Mar 4, 2018 9:03 AM in response to H2018

If it is unlocked the iPhone will work, but yes there are limitations to what it can do if it comes from a country where certain things are banned.

Just because its unlocked does not mean it can magically bypass the restrictions of the region it was meant for.

If it was meant for a region that bans Facetime or restricts it to certain carriers only then it won't have Facetime outside of the region or the specific carriers.

Unless you require Facetime, you can use the iPhone normally. If you do require Facetime and cannot live without it, then yes, you need a new phone from a region where Facetime is not banned or restricted.

this app requires specific features not available on this device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.