Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing pictures in iCould that are not in a Photo library

How do I store pictures in iCould that are not in a Photo library, but are in my Pictures folder? I have an iMac with 500 GB of storage with 179.9 GB available, and my Picture folder size is 62.37 GB.

However my MacBook Air has only has 250 GB of storage with with 120 GB available, and my pictures folder has 14.2 GB on disk which is only Photos Library.photoslibrary.

If the pictures that are in my iMac Pictures folder are downloaded to my MacBook Air, I will use up half of my available storage, and storage space might become tight.

Can I just keep thumbnails or small versions of Pictures on my Macs that are in my Pictures folder and only download full size versions from iCloud when required? On both my iMac and MacBook Air in Photos preferences I have under iCloud Photo Library, Optimize Mac Storage checked, which stores full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud. Originals are stored on my iMac "if I have enough storage". (What is enough storage?)

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 8:58 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 4, 2018 12:08 PM in response to Joseph023

I have 150 GB of 200 GB storage available in iCloud. But I can not find a Pictures folder in iCloud Drive. There is a Photos app with all my pictures that are in Photos, but my Picture album does not appear in iCloud.

In About This Mac->Storage->Manage->Store in iCloud. In System Preferences under iCloud Drive Options, Have Desktop & Documents checked.

I have Optimize Mac Storage checked so that. "the full contents of iCloud Drive will be stored on this Mac if you have enough space. Older Documents will be stored only in iCloud when space is needed."

I do not want to have to move photos back and forth between iCloud and my Macs if it is not necessary.

Questions

1. Are pictures considered documents?
  2. At what point is space needed?

Storing pictures in iCould that are not in a Photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.