Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions

Hoping I have the right place for this, as I could not figure this out, if need be I can delete and repost in the proper place if I can be redirected properly.

Okay, I have a bunch of old word '97 documents that I just recovered/found. I think because the documents are so old that the permissions have gotten wonky/degraded a bit. I have finally gotten them to a part where I can open them in TextEdit (Word 2016 though has difficulties recognizing it as such and does not want to open them), and do some editing IF I unlock the permissions for the document from WITHIN TextEdit. In Finder, the permissions all seem to be okay, I've searched high and low for a terminal fix, I think with the application MacPilot I was finally able to make the headway I have made so far.

With all of that being said, here is my problem:

If I first unlock the document within TextEdit, I can then go into word and edit and change it around as needed from there. However (and I did just do a test here) for some weird reason it seems that every time I close out of it I need to re-unlock the document permissions from within TextEdit.

Is there a permanent solution to this that does not require me copying and pasting these documents into new blank documents? (There's somewhere between 60-100 of them......)

And thank you in advance!

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), TextEdit, Word 97, Word 2016

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 8:59 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.