Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does First Aid tell me that everything is ok and the iMac won’t reboot?

I have two iMacs (one at home; one at the University office). As soon as I upgraded to High Sierra, all **** broke loose. I lost data, time, money, and the first to “pack up”, because I use it on a daily basis, has to be rebooted 4-5 times a day. This has been happening for nearly two months. Today it happened to my home iMac. Apple support in Portugal advised me to downgrade to a prévios OS. Is this some kind of joke? How am I going to get my life and work back. Any ideas from all the brilliant people out there?

I would appreciate a little help, please.

A very stressed out Antonio Moreira from Portugal.

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 10:42 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Mar 4, 2018 11:07 AM in response to antoniomoreira

First Aid's job is to test the drive's file and format integrity, and attempt to fix those types of errors if there are any. This has nothing to do with whether or not the OS or other software is functioning correctly.

No software is perfect. Apple's is no exception. Before performing a major upgrade, you should create full, restorable backups of every Mac you plan on upgrading. Much better (in my opinion) than a Time Machine backup is a bootable clone you can create on another drive with SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner, and even with Disk Utility. In the event of a disaster (such as this), you simply boot to the clone and clone it back to the main drive. Then you're right back where you started from and can try again.

So, if you have a backup, the first thing you should do is restore it. If not, it's going to take a lot more time to fix.

Mar 4, 2018 3:03 PM in response to antoniomoreira

Don't know if First Aid is the Italian "SOS". If itbis, is useless (I personally rely on Disk Warrior. It does miracles but not yet APFS compatible. In any case, why asking help just now?

Another question: do you have a backup for each machine? If not looks a great problem, now, if you can't park your datas somewhere and install from ground. Plesase post more infos for further help (the answer isn't, as you said, downgrading to previous OSes).

Mar 4, 2018 3:17 PM in response to majortom1967

I do have timemachine running, but with High Sierra, the office iMac (i7, 12 GB RAM, 1TB), decided that the only “acceptable” backup, on 14 feb was the one from 8 jan. My home iMac (i5, 16 GB RAM, 1TB), although showing various backups, including yesterday’s, only accepted making the backup from 24 feb. it is still doing it. The only thing in my favour is that I have iCloud and Dropbox. I noticed in both cases that with High Sierra the iMac assumes idle memory as used memory, and brings the processing speed to a stand still, with the beech ball going round for ages in between each command. I verified that in Activity Monitor when it allowed me to access it.

Any ideas?

Thanks ever so much for your patience and time.

Antoni

Mar 5, 2018 11:01 AM in response to Csound1

Been there, done that, several times, to no avail.

The recovery from time machine lasted until this morning, 8:50 am, and I left it rebuilding Mail and came to work, where I am at the moment, using my office iMac. Fortunately, today I did not have to perform any rebooting, although at times it acts sluggish. At the moment I am running it with Word, Chrome, Mail and Calendar running, and it is fine (touch wood).

I am not sure of what I will find when I get home. One thing is for sure: the desktop, this morning, looked déjà vu and sort of dated. Not at all what it looked like when I shut it down on Saturday afternoon...

Why does First Aid tell me that everything is ok and the iMac won’t reboot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.