Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to delete thumbnail images? Will doing so delete main images? Can't find this topic anywhere. Thank you.

Confused about thumbnail images. I have both iPhoto and Photos on my MacBook Pro with Sierra. Is it okay to delete thumbnails of the same larger photos without deleting those too? Thanks!!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), about apple mail and smart groups

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 12:17 PM

No. When Photos imports a photo into the library it creates a thumbnail/preview version to display in albums and other windows of the library. Deleting the thumbnail/preview also deletes the full sized original file. There's no way to separate them when deleting. Just consider them one and the same.

User uploaded file

16 replies

Mar 4, 2018 1:50 PM in response to Martha Anne

So when I click on the desktop thumbnails it only says preview

I'm not sure what that means. When you open a JPEG file by clicking it, you will see a preview, but that does not mean tat the image file is a preview. Does the filename has "preview" in its name? And other files have "thumb" in its filename? Then you may be seeing fragments of an iPhoto or Photos library that you dragged out of a library.

Are your Photos library and iPhoto library still in working correctly? Do you get any warnings about missing photos when you are working with iPhoto or Photos? If not, I would copy the thumbs and previews you are seeing in on your Desktop to an external drive to keep them safe, until you know for sure, that you are not missing any items from your photo libraries.

Mar 4, 2018 11:56 PM in response to Martha Anne

You have been moving files from a search for all photos on your Mac.

You screenshot is showing a search for each and every item on your Mac with the word Adobe in the name or the path to the item.

This may have removed photos needed by Adobe software from the application support of the particular program. For the particular thumbnail you selected in the screenshot you can see the original place in the path bar at the bottom. It is a file from ~/Library/Containers. this is the sandbox, where running applications exchange data and the files there can be recreated. and is safe to delete.

User uploaded file

But the search could easily have shown you files and folders in other caches or inside applications, that are needed to run the applications. You must not delete the items, before you now if they are needed. as I said before, move them to some folder "dragged items", to keep them safe. Preferably use a folder on your system drive in your home folder, and drag the items there, so you do not copy them. The problem is, that is impossible to tell, where you removed them from, because you started with an "All Photos" search. And the saved search seems have to lost the focus - as far as I can tell, this folder in question does not have Adobe in its name.

Never delete or move photos from a Finder search window, at least, without looking at the path bar at the bottom, so you know exactly, what you are deleting.

As long as you just drag files between folders on the same disk, the system may find them again, if they are missing from some folder. So moving them to some folder on your system drive may take care of missing items in system folders.

If you still encounter problems with missing items, when you run some application or open a document, it will be safer to restore your Mac from the last backup you made before you dragged thumbnail images around. The thumbnails now can be missing from each and every application support folder on your Mac, from Pages or Powerpoint documents, from mail attachments etc.

Mar 4, 2018 2:03 PM in response to Martha Anne

Martha Anne wrote:

Very helpful, thank you!!! Can I assume that the thumbnails I foolishly dragged to my desktop and show up as preview when clicked on are somewhere else? And that I don't need to put them back in photos? I have like 9,000 photos, seriously. Thank you!

We need details

what version of the OS do you have? What photos software are you using (iPhoto - if so what version - or Photos)?

and Never ever make any changes of any sort to the contents or structure of the library - what exactly did you do and where did you drag the photos from

If you took anything out of a library then you have a mess and probably will have to restore a backup - if you are lucky you can put them back but generally that does not work

LN

Mar 4, 2018 2:41 PM in response to LarryHN

Thank you very much. OS 10.13.3, photos 3.0 and iPhoto 9.6.1. Not sure what I did, trigger finger me. I took some photos out of HD to desktop, trying to clean up stuff. Was confused because only some photos were in there and thought none should be. I don't think it was from the library. I need someone to sit with me and clean up my wicked ways!

Is it safe to delete thumbnail images? Will doing so delete main images? Can't find this topic anywhere. Thank you.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.