Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are recipients not in alphabetical (or any other) order?

I've seen a version of this question posed by GenipGirl, but I've seen no answer.
Here are my questions:
In my Address Book, the names are all in order, alphabetized by their first name. However, when I select the group for the To: box, the names just appear in random order. What's up?
How do I get Mail to list the names in the "To" box in the order I prefer?

Macbook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 25, 2007 3:00 PM

17 replies

Jan 26, 2007 9:23 AM in response to Ira Siegel

"when I select the group for the To: box, the names just appear in random order".

I created a group and put it into the To: box. I then clicked the group name and chose 'Expand Group'. I assume this is the ordered list that you are concerned about. The order of my list was consistent (the same every time), not random, and is the order that the names were added to my address book, with the person longest in the Address Book first. Can you check that yours are consistent and the same order?

If you want to change this order, you could remove people from your address book (use Export vcard, then delete the card), then add them back in the order you want. If you do this, make sure you make a back up first!

Andrew

Jan 26, 2007 10:14 AM in response to Andrew Wilson

But that is not a satisfactory resolution. The names should be added in the sort order of the Address Book or any order of the user's choosing. I have a small address book of only 140 or so names. If I needed to use that as a group I would have to remove and re-add 140 names in alphabetical order. Then each time a name is added or removed I would have to do this again? No, that's not a satisfactory approach.

I've sent in a bug report to Apple. Perhaps this will be fixed some time in the future.

Jan 26, 2007 10:34 AM in response to Ira Siegel

How do I get Mail to list the names in the "To" box in the order I prefer?

Do it manually, by adding the addresses 1 at a time. Or after you add the group, expand it (Ctrl-click the group name) and reorganize them however you want.

Or, since it doesn't make a difference, except maybe if you want to see them in order in the Sent folder, add them all as a group and don't worry about the order.

Will a recipient's relative interest in the Mail usually agree with its alphabetical position within the group?

Jan 26, 2007 2:14 PM in response to Andrew Wilson

I would agree with you in principle. Frankly, I wouldn't really care what order they are in. But I can understand someone preferring an order. It would also seem "logical" to order the addressees in alphabetical order if no other order were available. Ordering them in the order of "date of entry" doesn't seem to make any sense. I suppose that if an order were important then the user should be able to designate what that order might be in Address Book. Mail should then "cooperate" with that ordering. I would consider this to be a "normal" expectation.

Regardless, I've reported this as a bug. If Apple deems it worthy of attention it may get fixed in the next Tiger update.

Feb 1, 2007 12:20 PM in response to Kappy

In the mean time, you can do it fairly quickly from within Mail without going into the Address Book:

In a new blank message, click on the Address button to bring up the Addresses window.

Click on the name of the group you want to send to (All if its everyone in your Address Book). The list on the right will be sorted in the order you require.

Select the first person in the list, press and hold the Shift key down, then use the down arrow key on the keyboard to go down the list until all the names are selected. This puts them onto the clipboard in the order you want.

Let go of the Shift key, and click the To: or Cc: button.

Hey Presto, you have your sorted list.

Andrew

PowerMac G4 MDD Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Feb 1, 2007 2:15 PM in response to Kappy

Well, it worked before I posted the suggestion, and I've just tried again and it works now. Did you try it out?

You don't actually paste (or copy). You are simply using the group to define the list of addresses. By selecting in the right hand pane and then clicking To:, you are selectng the individuals, not the group. You get a list if names in the To: field of the new email, rather than the group name.

Andrew

Feb 1, 2007 3:08 PM in response to Kappy

The address icon in Mail's toolbar is what I am referring to. It brings up a window titled Addresses. Select the group in the left hand pane to only show the names you require in the right hand pane. Then use the shift select method to select all of the names in that right hand pane, then click To;.

It works.

The only thing is that if you select them in any order, say from the bottom up rather than the top down, or at random, then they always appear in the same order as going down the righthand pane!

Andrew

Why are recipients not in alphabetical (or any other) order?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.