Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy photos from my MacBook Air to an external storage drive?

I have been trying to copy photos from my new MacBook Air to an external storage drive, but after I export the photos to the appropriate folder on the external hard drive I get an error saying the files were not exported because they were read only.

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 3:35 PM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2018 11:06 PM in response to jend222

"You can't save the file "IMG1433" because the volume "Macintosh HD" is read only.

Can you confirm that? Why would you be writing to the Macs HD when you're exporting to the external drive.

Also, Free Agent is a brand, and we need to know the format of the drive:

Select the drive on the desktop and go File -> Get Info. You can see the format in the resulting window:

User uploaded file

Mar 4, 2018 3:47 PM in response to Yer_Man

I am trying to copy photos from my photo library to an external hard drive (Free Agent drive), where I keep all of my photos from my PC and camera as well. I have been using PC to manage my photos but just recently switched to the MacBook Air. The message says "You can't save the file "IMG1433" because the volume "Macintosh HD" is read only.

How do I copy photos from my MacBook Air to an external storage drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.