Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import photos from storage devices and DVDs using Photos on Mac

Hi,

I am importing pictures from a hard drive into photos on Mac book air (Monterey) in order to make some photo books. All is clear to me but when I disconnect the hard drive I get the following message ‘We were unable to load this photo at the requested size. This can occur if the original file was removed from your photos library.’ and ‘The original photo is either off line or can not be found.’ despite the fact that the picture is still shown in my library.

I just want to import the pictures, have the file in my photo library and be able to disconnect my hard drive and edit pictures and use in my photo books.

Is there a way to do it ?

Thanks for helping out.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 10:43 AM

When you import the photos to your Photos Library, you should use the option to copy the photos into the library and not reference them in the original location.

Enable the checkmark in the Photos > Preferences > Importing: Copy items into the library.

If this checkmark is not set, Phots will just reference the photos, and you have to keep the volume with the original photos connected.

To Beatle to use the photos you already imported as referenced files. connect the external volume with the originals. Then select the photos in Photos and use the command "File > Consolidate" to copy the original files into the library.

A smart album with the rule "Photo is referenced" can help to show you all photos that need consolidating.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2022 10:43 AM in response to brigittegreece

When you import the photos to your Photos Library, you should use the option to copy the photos into the library and not reference them in the original location.

Enable the checkmark in the Photos > Preferences > Importing: Copy items into the library.

If this checkmark is not set, Phots will just reference the photos, and you have to keep the volume with the original photos connected.

To Beatle to use the photos you already imported as referenced files. connect the external volume with the originals. Then select the photos in Photos and use the command "File > Consolidate" to copy the original files into the library.

A smart album with the rule "Photo is referenced" can help to show you all photos that need consolidating.

Import photos from storage devices and DVDs using Photos on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.