Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t delete email.

Can not delete emails when using my ipad. I have double checked all account info and made sure the most recent updates have been completed. Still continue to get the following message. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

User uploaded file

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 11:53 PM

Try going into Settings > Accounts & Password > account > Account > Advanced > Deleted Mailbox, and under On The Server tap the 'Trash' folder so that it gets a tick against it - then come out of that series of popups by tapping on the relevant buttons at the top of them and see if you can now delete emails.

8 replies

Apr 14, 2018 4:39 PM in response to crooked6p

I do not have a hotmail account and it wasn't spam. However, thanks to chatting online with an apple customer service rep, they recommended that I uninstall the mail app (this thought would have never crossed my mind for some reason). They wanted me to re-install it and then re-set-up my mail accounts in Settings. Well, I did uninstall the Mail app, but then, I downloaded the AOL mail app, since that is who my carrier is now (was verizon but got moved over, although still has the verizon.net ending). After using AOL app for a week and remembering how much I hated it, I re-downloaded and installed the Mail app and everything has been working fine ever since. Those troublesome emails that were in deleted/undeleted limboland never re-appeared. So, problem solved.

May 26, 2018 8:14 AM in response to Lunasquirl

Thanks, I had an email that would not load, to view it, nor would it stay deleted, just returning after next opening the app. After deleting the Mail app and then re-downloading it, I needed to login to the account and also turn it on again in Settings>iCloud>Mail. This has solved the problem and the email has not come back.

Apr 3, 2018 5:14 PM in response to Diesel3qm

The solution posted did not work for me as there was no "account" Account option after I clicked on "Accounts & Password". I am assuming they were changed in an update.

After messing with this for over an hour, I discovered that when I clicked an option (I apologize, I can't remember which one exactly- might have been the curving arrow for forwarding or printing) on one of the offending emails, there was a "see other options" or "see related items" link that isn't normally there, and didn't show on other emails. When I clicked that link it gave me an "available threads" screen and the email was listed as a "thread". I have no idea how or why. However, once I selected it there and clicked the trashcan icon, it deleted and allowed me to delete the other few random emails that previously kept coming back. I hope this helps.

Apr 14, 2018 12:33 PM in response to Lunasquirl

I have had the same problem for longer than one year. It is not an issue related to all mail. It is specifically related to spam mail. You can delete, but immediately the pop up says unable to delete. This occurs on iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, and Cloud. It seems to act more like a permanent invitation to spammers. I have tried too many hundreds of times as my inbox fills. At present there are about 20 / 50 emails I cannot delete or move. I have even deleted the old email addresses from accounts and devices.

ADD : All of the mail that has this problem, for me, seems to be a Hotmail account also. Those accounts no longer exist.

Can’t delete email.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.