Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know the size of my all pictures on PHOTOS before moving to?

Hello,

I still have my old MacBookPro 2010 (I also have a new MBP 2017).

I am thinking to use this old MBP 2010 with new MBP. Especially when using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

But the battery level of old MBP is 0% (with Replace Now) even when it is plugged/ charged. And I decide to move all the pictures to safe place. I have pictures on PHOTOS dated from 2010...

How do I know the size of all the pictures on PHOTOS before I moving to hard drive or new MBP? To check if I have enough space to keep/ save these pictures on an external hard drive, new MBP, or somewhere safe.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 10:46 AM

By default, all of your Photos app photos are stored in the Photos Library at: ~/Pictures/Photo Library.

If you option-click on the Photos Library icon, and then, select Get Info, you will get an idea on how large your photo set will be.

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 6, 2018 9:09 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Hi, I have 57GB size of Photo library on PHOTOS and about 20,000 pictures there on my old MBP 2010. I try to download from my MBP 2010. To my 1T G-Drive or new MBP 2017 or some other good option.

(I tried to use old MBP 2010, but its battery level is 0% (with Replace now message) even when charging. I decide to move all the photos before this old MBP is dead or all the files can be lost.)

Mar 6, 2018 10:56 AM in response to leroydouglas

For a few pictures, I tried to export from PHOTOS. But these are about 20,000 pictures dated back from 2010.

For the Pictures> photos library, can I drag and drop to an external hard drive? I have 1T G-Drive.

Meanwhile, I asked on PHOTOS board about which device/ storage is good to transfer 20,000 pictures (57GB size of photos library). Someone described about file system format and options, but they are not familiar to me and I try to learn more now...

How do I know the size of my all pictures on PHOTOS before moving to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.