Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook won't boot off of USB or CD-ROM

I recently got an iBook G4 for free and when iwas trying to reinstall OS X Leopard, It would not read my disk and would spit it right out. I also could not boot from USB at alleither. i dont want to replace parts just yet. is there anything i can do or any suggestions you have to help make this mac work again?

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 2:57 AM

iBook G4 - Technical Specifications

iBook G4 (Early 2004) - Technical Specifications

iBook G4 (Late 2004) - Technical Specifications

iBook G4 (Mid 2005) - Technical Specifications

You do not say which iBook G4 model it is (see also, for example, http://lowendmac.com/powerbooks.html). The computer model and the exact Mac OS X version (and disc type/colour) are of importance.

The optical drive may or may not require cleaning.

Do not expect to boot an iBook G4 from USB. The FireWire port is supported for booting, which means that FireWire hard drives with an appropriate operating system, and possibly FireWire optical drives, could be of interest in a case like this.

Finally, if you have access to another FireWire-equipped Mac, it is even possible to make the iBook G4 appear as an external hard drive (How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2018 2:57 AM in response to Spriteaholic565

iBook G4 - Technical Specifications

iBook G4 (Early 2004) - Technical Specifications

iBook G4 (Late 2004) - Technical Specifications

iBook G4 (Mid 2005) - Technical Specifications

You do not say which iBook G4 model it is (see also, for example, http://lowendmac.com/powerbooks.html). The computer model and the exact Mac OS X version (and disc type/colour) are of importance.

The optical drive may or may not require cleaning.

Do not expect to boot an iBook G4 from USB. The FireWire port is supported for booting, which means that FireWire hard drives with an appropriate operating system, and possibly FireWire optical drives, could be of interest in a case like this.

Finally, if you have access to another FireWire-equipped Mac, it is even possible to make the iBook G4 appear as an external hard drive (How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support).

Mar 6, 2018 9:26 AM in response to Spriteaholic565

You're welcome!

You said "reinstall". Is the internal hard disk empty now, or is there a partially working system?

I indicated that one should not expect an iBook G4 to boot from USB. However, a web search will show that various unsupported methods have been tested in order to make G4 computers bootable from USB. This may or may not work. The procedures are often complicated, and may be limited to only a few of the many models.

So, looking at FireWire is probably a good idea. Also, do verify that you have a correct system software disc.

iBook won't boot off of USB or CD-ROM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.