Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do these statements tell us about an iPhone?

Hi, after entering the iPhone serial number here (Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support) when it says:

"

Valid Purchase Date

A validated purchase date lets Apple quickly find your product and provide the help you need.

Repairs and Service Coverage: Expired

Our records indicate that your product isn’t covered under Apple’s Limited warranty or an AppleCare product for hardware repairs and service based on the estimated expiration date.
Learn about Apple’s coverage information for your productOpens in a new window

https://getsupport.apple.com/?sn=xxx&locale=en_UShttps://getsupport.apple.com/?sn=xxx&locale=en_UShttps://getsupport.apple.com/?sn=xxx&locale=en_UShttps://getsupport.apple.com/?sn=xxx&locale=en_UShttps://getsupport.apple.com/?sn=xxx&locale=en_USSet up a repair

"

Does this mean that this specific iPhone has an age more than one year (because as I've heard that apple gives a warranty of 1 year for each new iPhone)? Or is it also possible for brand new iPhones to have this kind of information (expired)?

There is another question here:

Should the picture which appears after entering the serial number, showing the product, match in color with the product I want to know the information about? I mean is it just a picture to clarify the model or the color in that image shown there should be the same as the iPhone which I entered its serial number?

iPhone SE, iOS 9.3, Not sure about the OS version

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 10:10 AM

16 replies

Mar 5, 2018 10:21 AM in response to honeyxp

All new Apple products come with a basic 1 yr. support plan. In most cases, you can extend that coverage with AppleCare+. In the case of the iPhone, you can extend the warranty for an additional year for a total of 2 yrs. of coverage. If you are not sure that this is a new iPhone, then the following article may prove helpful:

How to Check if iPhone is New, Refurbished, or Replacement - OSXDaily

Ref:

AppleCare+ for iPhone - Apple Support

Mar 5, 2018 10:30 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the reply and that link provided by you, but because I have bought this with a money back warranty (but since it is not an official Apple seller), I don't want to open the vacuum of this iPhone because that way I think I would have troubles returning this iPhone, but so far, I've noticed by entering the serial number, both second and third items listed above in my main question are expired. So I wanted an easy yet guaranteed way to know if it's an old device just by information on the box... But as I've known by your great answers it seems to be used before...

Mar 5, 2018 10:56 AM in response to honeyxp

An unofficial or un-authorized Apple device seller by definition has no legitimate access to truly OEM retail new units. They are not part of Apple‘s supply network. So everything they sell is going to be technically used, even if still in the original packaging.

So it is entirely possible to buy a never activated or used iPhone, still in its original packaging, from an un-authorized seller. But that does not mean the device is actually retail new and thus may have no warranty left on it.

Mar 5, 2018 11:07 AM in response to Michael Black

Even if this site says "Please activate your device" in the first line, it does not mean that it is brand new? Interesting. The problem here is that Apple has no authorized seller in my country, so I have to either buy one from any unauthorized seller which is certainly risky, or I'd better try to purchase it from other countries in which apple has authorized stores...

Mar 5, 2018 11:30 AM in response to honeyxp

Brand new and never used are two different things. Brand new is when Apple or one of its authorized sellers sells an iPhone. It appears the phone you bought was purchased previously, but never opened or used. The warranty on that phone as far as Apple is concerned started the day Apple or its seller sold it. It doesn't mean it was ever actually put into service.

Mar 5, 2018 11:35 AM in response to honeyxp

If there are no authorized sellers where you are, then you’re stuck. Apple does not do business everywhere, but that also means they are not obligated to provide support where they have no business presence (e.g. Iran, where Apple has no business presence of any kind and never has). In that case, you are free to buy a used device, but as with any used device, you take your chances on what you get and how it works out.

Quite honestly, if there was no Apple presence or authorized sellers and service providers where I was, I’d probably buy a different device from a company that did offer support where I was and did have their own stores or at least officially authorized sellers.

What do these statements tell us about an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.