Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does factory reset deactivate Find My iPhone?

I just set up two new iPhones and am trading in the old ones. Pretty sure I turned off Find My iPhone (required for return), but then started wondering. However both phones got a factory reset, such that turning them on or pressing Home key brings up the Hello screen because the device is not set up.

I’m pretty sure that means Find My iPhone therefore Can Not be on (since the phone is not set up). Am I wrong, or (hopefully!!) right? It would seem beyond the pale to unbox the phones and set them up to turn off that setting!

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 11:18 PM

I’m pretty sure that means Find My iPhone therefore Can Not be on

Not at all... the hello screen is not related to Find My Phone or activation lock.

A factory restore does not disable Find My Phone. Only turning it off before the device was restored, or knowing the password to the Apple ID that enabled it.

5 replies

Mar 6, 2018 6:32 AM in response to plrbr

Oh so does that mean the Apple ID of the user of the reset phone has to check Find my iPhone on the reset phone?

I went to my wife’s new phone and used Find iPhone and it did not list the reset phone Among her devices. So I assume that setting has been turned off On her reset phone? It is powered down and in the box.

On my Apple ID, Find Phone lists my ancient iPad that’s powered down so I’m guessing that also means it would find my wife’s powered down, reset phone IF Find iPhone was still on?

Mar 6, 2018 7:05 AM in response to Marc Stergionis1

I went to my wife’s new phone and used Find iPhone and it did not list the reset phone Among her devices. So I assume that setting has been turned off On her reset phone? It is powered down and in the box.

Find My Phone may be off, but Activation lock may not be.

If she erased the phone first, either while in your hand or via icloud.com, and then removed the device from her account, activation lock will be disabled.

What exact steps were taken to "factory reset" the phone?

The check for activation lock can only be done during the setup assistant. It is a real time connection to Apple's activation server.

What you have described did not say whether you followed the steps correctly.

It is mechanically possible to reset a phone using iTunes without first turning off Find My Phone. The only way to be sure is to try and activate the phone again to see if the activation lock screen comes up.

Does factory reset deactivate Find My iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.