Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New question: iPad: Facetime not ringing under iOS8 if screen is locked

This is an old question, asked here in 2015.I check in to that discussion every now and again to see if someone has solved it, because my iPad never rings either when it's locked and none of the suggested solutions works. I just checked in again and found this community member's screenshot, which sums up the problem:

User uploaded file

Note the setting bottom-right, which is the same as I have in my settings. Under "Silence", you have 2 options: "Always" or "Only while iPad is locked". Presumably - because it's not grayed out - this setting overrides the disabling of "Do not disturb" under "Manual" at the top, so presumably this is what stops my iPad ringing when it's locked. But the alternative, silence "Always", would presumably not solve the problem, just make it worse. But what the "Silence" setting actually does is a mystery. If I set it to "Always", a youtube video plays loud and clear. So what is being silenced "Always"? It's like Rubik's cube, but with no solution.

I would have posted this in the existing discussion, but the "Reply" buttons there were disabled and I found this message: "Looks like no one's replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question."

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 10

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 12:29 AM

Hi Floortiles,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that you have some questions about how the "Silence" option in Do Not Disturb Settings affects the sound on your iPad and you're not being notified of FaceTime calls when your iPad is locked. I know using Do Not Disturb and being notified of your FaceTime calls is important; I'd like to provide some information.
Regarding Do Not Disturb; checking "Always" or "When iPad is Locked" should only affect notification sounds (such as texts, calls, and other notification alerts) on your iPad when Do Not Disturb is enabled, either manually or scheduled. Sounds from apps you use or content you play are not affected by this setting which is why you can hear the YouTube video you mention. You can see more about Do Not Disturb here: Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Regarding the behavior you mention with FaceTime calls, does your iPad "ring" when it's unlocked?

Are you using your Apple ID or phone number with another device, such as an iPhone?

Can you let me know which iOS version you're using on your iPad?

Best Regards.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2018 12:29 AM in response to Floortiles

Hi Floortiles,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that you have some questions about how the "Silence" option in Do Not Disturb Settings affects the sound on your iPad and you're not being notified of FaceTime calls when your iPad is locked. I know using Do Not Disturb and being notified of your FaceTime calls is important; I'd like to provide some information.
Regarding Do Not Disturb; checking "Always" or "When iPad is Locked" should only affect notification sounds (such as texts, calls, and other notification alerts) on your iPad when Do Not Disturb is enabled, either manually or scheduled. Sounds from apps you use or content you play are not affected by this setting which is why you can hear the YouTube video you mention. You can see more about Do Not Disturb here: Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Regarding the behavior you mention with FaceTime calls, does your iPad "ring" when it's unlocked?

Are you using your Apple ID or phone number with another device, such as an iPhone?

Can you let me know which iOS version you're using on your iPad?

Best Regards.

Mar 18, 2018 3:19 AM in response to chris_g1

Sorry for replying late, had other pressing matters.

Thanks for clarifying the Do Not Disturb function.

I did work out why my ipad does not ring for incoming Facetime calls, whether asleep or awake.

For some reason, under Settings > Sounds, the option "Ringer and alerts" was set to zero.

It must have been like that for years.

I can't imagine why I would have set that to zero knowingly, so I wonder if that option can be set "elsewhere" on the ipad by accident. The audio volume levels of the swipe-up-from-the-bottom control-center thingie does not match my "Ringer and alerts" setting, so it didn't happen there, presumably.

Anyway: Solved. Thanks again.

My iOS is 8.1.2.

New question: iPad: Facetime not ringing under iOS8 if screen is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.