Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Referenced Files Not Accessible

I have over 29,000 photos in my Photos library. Over 12,000 of them are "referenced." I have been trying to consolidate them into the library for months, always unsuccessful. I have a smart album that shows all 12,000 referenced photos. I select all of them and execute the Consolidate command. I get a message that Photos needs access to the media. I select the mentioned folder to grant access and get error messages that it cannot not find the files. If I skip the files, the busy pie shaped circle seems to be working for a few seconds, but none of the files are consolidated.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 7, 2018 6:27 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Mar 7, 2018 7:30 AM in response to stevmeister

Have you tested, if you can consolidate the files, if you just select one of the files? Do you get the same error message?

Can Photos reveal the referenced files in the Finder? Select one of your referenced photos in Photos, then use "File > Show Referenced file in Finder". Does Photos open the correct folder? Is the referenced file readable? Can you open it in Preview?

Are your referenced files on an external drive? Or where is the folder with the original files?

Mar 8, 2018 3:01 AM in response to léonie

Yes, I have tested with one photo with the same result.

Photos find referenced files does not work. There is a lengthy discussion out there that this does not work anymore.

I can open the folders in under and the photos are there. I also made sure that everyone has read/write access to all photos and enclosed items.

If I try to export the referenced files, Photos finds the fold but the file names are greyed out.

Mar 8, 2018 3:10 AM in response to stevmeister

stevmeister wrote:

If I try to export the referenced files, Photos finds the fold but the file names are greyed out.

That is normal. The Export dialog will let you select a folder, but not a file. Otherwise the exported file would overwrite the existing file.

Where are your referenced files stored? Are they on an external drive? What is the file system of this drive? How is the drive connected?

Photos on High Sierra has problems to find photos or videos on an external drive, if the file system format is case-sensitive.

Mar 8, 2018 5:27 AM in response to stevmeister

The File > Get Info panel for the external drive would be showing "MacOS Extended (Journaled, case-sensitive)", if the drive were case-sensitive. So that is alright.

Is the same drive used by Time Machine? Photos on High Sierra has problems, if the image files are on a Time Machine drive.

As a test, move a folder with some referenced files to your system drive and then try to consolidate the photos with "File > Consolidate", while the files are on your system drive. Does that work?

Mar 10, 2018 6:51 AM in response to stevmeister

That did work, but I seemed to have lost face IDs on the newly imported photos.

Did you really import the photos? I meant, you should try to use "File > Consolidate ...". My hope has been, that you might be able to select the moved originals, if they are on your system drive, when Photos asks you to locate the referenced files.

Mar 10, 2018 7:17 AM in response to stevmeister

Have to select the photos.

I thought you have an album with the thumbnails of your referenced files in Photos? Or is this longer the case?

. I have a smart album that shows all 12,000 referenced photos.

Did you already delete all of them ? Then the faces information will be lost. It is bound to the thumbnails of the versions in your library.

Mar 10, 2018 7:41 AM in response to stevmeister

I moved a few photos to a new folder on my desktop. Selected a photo in the referenced folder. Executed the Consolidate command. Window popped up asking for permission to access access my media file. Selected the new folder on the desktop. Same problem. Message says it couldn't find the file. I first deleted the file from the original folder. It is located in the new desktop folder.

Photos Referenced Files Not Accessible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.