Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight Top Hits Show Removed Application

Problem

I have updated an application, and Spotlight still shows a link to the old version of the app in the tophits part of Spotlight.

In the update, the name (and icon) of the app changed and the old version was removed from the Application folder.

I'm running macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.3 on an early 2015 MacBook Pro (2,9 GHz Inter Core i5 and 16 GB of RAM)

What I tried so far without reaching a solution

I have forced an update of the spotlight index as suggested on this website: How to Fix Spotlight Problems by Rebuilding the Index

So, both by moving the macOS partition in the privacy tab that can be found in the Spotlight settings in under the System Preferences and the terminal approach (sudo mdutil -E /).

After that, I indeed observe the indexing progress bar in the spotlight search window after pressing command + space.

Nevertheless, I still get the old application as a suggestion (see image below).

Pressing enter results in an error sound since the application does not exist.

Holding the command key does not show the application path in Spotlight, and command + enter does not open a finder location.

The correct application is shown in the Application section.

How can I force an update of the top hits, or remove the history used to suggest top hits?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 8, 2018 2:53 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Mar 8, 2018 8:48 AM in response to JeromekeR

What ever you browse in safari history is saved and shown in top hits , using spotlight .

Click on History - show all history , if you want to remove a selected item ( in your case it is Serato DJ .app ) , select the item and right click on it and click on delete it will be removed from history and will not be shown in top hits of spotlight .

See an example screen shot for normal browsing mode history is saved , in case if you have used private browsing mode history and and cookies are never saved that is in form of web site Data .

User uploaded file

Mar 14, 2018 5:28 AM in response to tygb

Well, this is not the answer to the question I posted. Spotlight shows the removed application as the first item in the Top Hits list. The second item, that is indeed a website item, has nothing to do with the removed application. So, fiddling around with the Safari browser history will not solve this problem.

Spotlight Top Hits Show Removed Application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.