Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to view attachments in apple mail

I am not able to view attachments that I receive in apple mail. The file will just have a message at the bottom of it saying "downloading", but never finishes downloading. I have tried quitting mail and reopening it. I have also gone and changed the download preferences in each account to download "all" attachments. I saw several people post things about this but have not come across a solution. Hoping someone has one now...

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), iOS 10.3.1, MacOS Sierra 10.12.4

Posted on Mar 8, 2018 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 8:19 AM

The particular one I am dealing with at the moment is a pdf invoice that was emailed to me yesterday. I had one the other day that was an image file, and I could not access it, even right after the email was sent.

7 replies

Mar 9, 2018 8:42 AM in response to MSavaski

See this article Send attachments with your Gmail message - Computer - Gmail Help

The pdf file that is sent by another person could be corrupted , using Mac OS high Sierra you must use a feature optimise storage How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

You have to click on download attachments see this screen shot , right now it is not showing as I have clicked on the option to download attachments , also there must be a space in Hard disk , if that is exceeding the limit that could be a reason .

These boxes are to be checked and have a green checkmark .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 10, 2018 7:15 PM in response to MSavaski

In safari preferences > general the box for open safe files after downloading is kept as unchecked , because that is not sure file like pdf could be corrupted or malicious as it is coming from outsource , in your case you must call them and tell them to send it once again or the file size could be enormous , the file download location - should be download if you click on drop down arrow of it select ask for each download , it will stop and ask permissions , then you have to enter admin name and password and if you select other you have to decide or choose at which location the file should get downloaded .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 9, 2018 11:26 AM in response to tygb

Ok, I tried all the steps above (my mail storage was very high), cleaned out a bunch of stuff and I optimized the system. I rebooted the computer, but still doing the same thing. I just opened the two emails in question at the moment and they still just say "downloading". Even when I go to the top of the message and hit the attachment drop down and click it, nothing happens. Any other suggestions?? Also, thank you for introducing me to the steps above! I will use these from now on to keep my system running more efficiently!

Mar 10, 2018 12:48 AM in response to MSavaski

It depends upon the compatibility what app your are using in your Mac to download attachments .

An example if a sender sends an attachment in auto cad format and if I am not having latest version of auto cad and it is outdated , the file will not open , same way with pdf files , you need third party applications as adobe .

You have to call the sender on phone or mail them to send the attachment with mail again .

The receiver has no control over it .

And you must use reduce clutter free options and unnecessary old mails / mailboxes that are of very less use should be deleted ( keep the data in limits ) .

A method is there how to see the mail data , open mail application , right click over inbox and click on get account info .

For gmail accounts the maximum limit is 18.25 GB .

Not able to view attachments in apple mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.