Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't want to use a password on my Mac

How do I remove the password required for High Sierra. At one time I was able to use the number 1 for the password and also to enter it in the Hint....but Apple has removed that hint.

I don't want to use a password on my computer.

How do I disable this feature?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Mar 8, 2018 2:15 PM

9 replies

Mar 9, 2018 9:35 AM in response to DSanders63

For using password hint see this article macOS Sierra: Add a password hint

User uploaded file

And if you don't want to use the password in users and groups > click on login options > automatic login as off should be switched to the user name ( by clicking on drop down arrows ) and it would be activated and security and privacy > general > uncheck the box of disable automatic login .

But if in case you want full priviledges as an administrator you have to do opposite settings as written above and see these articles macOS Sierra: administrator

macOS Sierra: Tips for creating secure passwords

macOS Sierra: Understand passwords

macOS Sierra: Require a password after waking your Mac

Keep the settings - require password as immediately after sleep or screen saver begins " always " and check the boxes as shown , click on advanced and do the settings .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 9, 2018 9:05 AM in response to kaz-k

Hello kaz-k, your solution does indeed allow you to not enter a password on OSX up to 10.13.3

At that release you have to enter a password to have full access to the system.

Without a password you can't do many of the things you should be able to do, like make changes in the System Preferences for example.

I want to have full admin rights on my Mac, without the use of a Password, why is that so difficult of a thing to have?

Mar 9, 2018 9:09 AM in response to DSanders63

If you are the admin account user, you already have full admin rights. The password is there because it's part of Unix, which underlies macOS. It's also there to prevent folks from walking up to your computer and being able to run any admin tasks they want, unhindered.

You must have some kind of password. But, it doesn't have to be something that would take a trillion years to crack. Use a single character if you want.

I don't want to use a password on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.