Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IF function in Numbers for Mac

I have a cell with two IF expressions in it. I want the if-false outcome to display nothing, not even FALSE as it is doing at the moment when I put opening and closing parantheses for the if-false outcome. It works if I just have one IF expression. Is there something extra I have to do for two IF expressions?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 10:26 AM

Hi w,

Your formula tells Numbers what to do if the AF2 IS greater than zero, but doesn't tell it what to do if AF2 is 0 or less:

IF(AF2>0,IF($J2="y",A2,""))

cond 1: AF2>0

• true: IF($J2="y",A2,"")
    • cond 2: $J2="y"
      • true: A2
      • false: ""
  • false: not specified, so return FALSE

Adding a 'dothat' part to the first IF may produce what you want:

IF(AF2>0,IF($J2="y",A2,""),"")

Logically, this is the same as 'If AF2 is greater than zero AND $J2 contains "y", A2, otherwise ""'

Which can be expressed in a formula as:

IF(AND(AF2>0,$J2="y"),A2,"")

Regards,

Barry

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2018 10:26 AM in response to wendoverman

Hi w,

Your formula tells Numbers what to do if the AF2 IS greater than zero, but doesn't tell it what to do if AF2 is 0 or less:

IF(AF2>0,IF($J2="y",A2,""))

cond 1: AF2>0

• true: IF($J2="y",A2,"")
    • cond 2: $J2="y"
      • true: A2
      • false: ""
  • false: not specified, so return FALSE

Adding a 'dothat' part to the first IF may produce what you want:

IF(AF2>0,IF($J2="y",A2,""),"")

Logically, this is the same as 'If AF2 is greater than zero AND $J2 contains "y", A2, otherwise ""'

Which can be expressed in a formula as:

IF(AND(AF2>0,$J2="y"),A2,"")

Regards,

Barry

Mar 9, 2018 9:53 AM in response to wendoverman

Hi w'

IF(condition 1,dothis,IF(condition 1,dothat,""))

condition 1=TRUE -> this is done

condition 1=FALSE -> condition 2 is tested

condition 2 is TRUE -> that is done

condition 2 is FALSE -> "" is done

"": The quotation marks enclose a text string. In this case, where there is 'nothing' between the quotes, the quotation marks enclose a null string, a text value with zero length, which gives the appearance of an empty cell.

Regards

Barry

Mar 9, 2018 9:36 AM in response to Barry

Thanks very much for that Barry. I’m still not quite getting it though. This is what I have: IF(AF2>0,IF($J2="y",A2,"")). As I see it I’ve got the opening and closing quotation marks for the if-false outcome but instead of an empty cell I get FALSE. As I’ve said I don’t want the cell to display anything when the if-false is met. Can you help further please?

IF function in Numbers for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.